Music in the trees

• ziontree
  • ziontree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130039 by ziontree
Music in the trees was created by ziontree
Does anyone bring music up in to the trees?
I do a few forest climbs and can be serenaded by the sounds of the forest. Is it disrespectful to bring tunes into your tree ( without headphones).
Do climbers take instuments up?
I know Tengu can play a mean didg in a tree.
If I were to take up some tunes It would be roots reggae cause it resonates with my spirit like the forest does.
How about you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130040 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Natural Tree Music for me
I prefer to enjoy the tree and its natural sounds more that music from a box. So far I have not been inclined to bring extra music to the tree- no to mention the extra gear and weight involved.

• aussietreeclimber
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130044 by aussietreeclimber
Replied by aussietreeclimber on topic Music in the trees
More often then not I'll climb without music. its just another thing to have to carry in/out of the bush. And anyway, where i climb there's usually enough sounds from nature to keep my ears amused. If i do take music its in the form of a transistor radio and I usually turn it on when I stop and have a food break for a few minutes.

Matt

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130046 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Music in the trees
I have a notion to someday bring my soprano recorder up with me. However, I'd like to get back in practice playing before trying to imitate the birds.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130051 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic I'll second the recorder.
Mark, bring your C soprano if we meet up again. A duet? I sometimes play mine in the trees. If you play classical, they think it is an angel. If you play jazz, well, folks go someplace else. Make sure your ropes are pulled. It forces them to find you or imagine elfs and such. Playing in the night has a good effect because they will never see you.

Do practice up Mark. A few tunes you know well works fine. Recorders are very easy to take along in the trees. The sound is sweet and carries far from the treetops.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130052 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Music in the trees
Treeman, when I played a lot, it was mostly English country dance airs. They would probably go nicely up there. I'm not a good enough musician to pull off jazz anyway. If I play out on Star Island, people will probably figure out who it is, but they won't mind. I'd be up for a duet sometime.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130089 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Airs in the air.
Mark- yeah- airs are great. The ones dating from a century or so ago are mighty fine to listen to.

Do you play wood or plastic? I save my plastic one for rainy days. My other ones are maple and tulip wood.

Do read sheet music or play by ear? I do both.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130117 by HooT
Replied by HooT on topic Treetop music
Love this thread! Right up my alley. Thanks for the start ziontree.

I collect strange musical instruments and sound makers from around the world, and some of my favourites are the ones that mimic birds. They're great to take aloft! I always carry my tin penny whistle.. that would mesh great with the recorders you guys! Can't wait for a tree top jam sometime...

Does anybody play anything else?

HooT

So many Trees... So little Time!

More
13 years 10 months ago #134637 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Music in the trees
A few days ago my wife and I were hellping her sister clean out some stuff, and I came across a box full of harmonicas. Turns out that my sister-in-laws now deceased father-in-law was quite the entertainer. Her husband wanted to just throw them out so she said I could have them. Cool! I lost all of mine over the years so this was bonus. All 40 of them. Good ones too.
Anyhow, I've been practicing, driving my wife nuts, making the dog howl, etc. But it's all comming back quickly. I can't wait to get up above it all and let loose with some good blues riffs. I like the idea of doing a night climb here in town. Then go around and see if anyone gets to talking about..."Hey, did you here that last night?"
Treeman, sounds like a good idea for one of those social experaments you like to do. Remember the biker gang and your climbing gear thing you did a while back? What do you think? ;)
Ron.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds