Finding a fixed line in a tree.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128584 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
HAHAHA! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128739 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic I cant beleive it happened to me!
okay, so this is what i get for my smart-aleck remark. today i was rec. climbing in a fir tree and halfway up I found some yellow slick-line throw line tied off to a limb that was doubled over something up top in the tree. Of course, I thought immediately about this post and how I had thought "Now when in the spit is that ever going to happen?!" But there I was in a tree with some random throw line! So, I climbed to the top to check it out and indeed it was over a safe limb. I hung out for a while and thought about how to write a note to the person without having anything to write a note with. After exhausting any ideas, I decided to descend, leave my rope in the tree and hike down the hill back to my car. There, I found an old plastic wrapper, a piece a paper and a pen. I wrote a quick note and my email address and wrapped it up tight in the plastic. Up the hill and up the tree again, I used some old cord to tie it to the limb next to the mysterious throw line. I will keep you posted on any developments and I plan on going back soon to check up and take some pictures. I still cant believe how random this is! So, I guess that's what I would do if I found a fixed line in a tree!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #134503 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Finding a set line.
I know this is a recall from a while back. But I've some time on my hands. I have never come across a line in a tree. I have however left one in a tree I was working in. It was a big job and I had to finish it up the next day. However, if I found one in a tree that I wanted to climb, I would leave it alone and set my own throw line. The main reason being that I enjoy all of the process' involved in the climb.
On the other hand, lets look at it from the other side of the situation. If you want to leave your throw line in the tree FOR A BRIEF TIME ONLY, and you don't want it readily visible from ground level, here's a little trick you may find useful.
Before your decent, run your throw line over the next available TIP below your current position. Tie the ends off with a half hitch so you now have a big loop, and lower the loop bottom down so it hangs free. It should touch the ground. If not, pick a lower TIP so it does. Now, when you're about 12' off the ground just pull the end of your loop up and wedge the line in the bark. This way it's out of direct line of sight,(people by nature do not look up,) and all you have to do to retrieve it is grab a stick and snag it off the trunk. It also helps if you use a darker colored line to leave behind.
NEVER leave your rope set for future use! That's just crazy.
Later, Ron.

More
14 years 1 week ago #134510 by elliotsu
Replied by elliotsu on topic Re:Finding a fixed line in a tree.
Never leave tag line in a wild tree. This is what I do.
If I found a fixed line in a tree, I will pull it down whatever I will climb this tree or not.

I will set up my line by myself and climb it. for set up a throw line is a fun for tree climbing. and It's an art.

Elliot

More
13 years 11 months ago #134541 by treemonster
Replied by treemonster on topic Re:Finding a fixed line in a tree.
It depends.

Could I clearly see where the line is placed? Could see any signs of of tree or wildlife research? Is the tree and crotch-placement healthy? Was I intending to climb this tree?

Without clear information I think I would be reluctant, perhaps I would if I was familiar with the tree. Many times I have been given directions and found the treeline a fellow climber has placed. Being saved the exertion of placing a line is a joy.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #134542 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Finding a fixed line in a tree.
Uh, is it a nice black line that isn't unsightly? Does it look like it has been there a long time? Is it helpful? Does it go to a nice TIP?
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Davej.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds