Finding a fixed line in a tree.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128308 by treeman
Finding a fixed line in a tree. was created by treeman
What would you do if you found a fixed line hanging from a tree? A fixed line is a small diameter line, like 1/8 inch parachute cord or even fishing line, used to eventually pull up the heavier climbing rope after the tree has been climbed previously. This technique provides a way to pull a rope back up into a tree without the time consuming process of climbing from branch to branch until the desired high position is reachieved.

Back to the question. What if you discovered a fixed line hanging from a tree and you did not personally set the line and have no idea of who set it?

1. Would you use it to pull your rope up into the tree?
2. Would you trust it?
3. Would you set up your own line instead?
4. Would you even think that the line might lead you to something unexpected high in the tree?

This is a “What If” question I want to ask all of the climbers here. Please respond everybody.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128311 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
This has happened to me. I knew who set the tag line, they are a very competent climber. Even so I wouldn't use their tagline. I don't like using someone else's tag line when I'm encountering a tree for the first time. I like to do a full assessment, throw the bag, set the rope etc. from scratch. I have to look at it as a tree that's never been climbed because someones else's climbing experience for that tree will not somehow seep into my brain via mystical tree osmosis :-)

If it's a tree I've already climbed and I know the branch that the tag line was over I might consider setting my rope with it. After I did an assessment.
-moss

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128313 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Bigger question
Personally, I'd walk away.

Then again, I am pretty against leaving fixed lines, particularly in wild trees. We have trees that have fixed lines, but they are established, cleaned, oft maintainanced trees. But I hate the thought of a wilderness that includes something left behind. I think it really is against our leave no trace ethic. I do realise that there is no true leave no trace, but there has to be an effort.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128317 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.

Originally posted by Treeman
What would you do if you found a fixed line hanging from a tree?

Good question.
My answer. . .
I’d be shocked!
I would stop short and closely examine the area and the tree. I’d probably be a little confused at how anyone could get a line high up into a tree and then I’d wonder what sort of “issue” I have stumbled across.

A spooky thought, but a good question indeed!
Electrojake

PS: Yes, I do “occasionally” leave lines in untamed trees. I use black parachute cord and do my best to conceal it. I remove the line after I’ve conquered the tree a few times.
-Ej-

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128320 by treeman
This is a two part question, with the thread about "Finding a canopy research station" as the second part. Please make sure you respond to that as well. Thanks.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128321 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
Nope, never, nada. Aint touching a rope/line i dont know the history of.

nuff said.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128323 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
Now that I’ve been thinking it over,
I'd be mighty curious about that line but. . .
There are too many other trees in the forest.
I would have to agree with SRT-Tech.
Dont touch it. Best to move on.
-Ej-

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128346 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
OK, I'll admit it, I sometimes leave a black line for a week or so in a tree I've been exploring. Generally away from trails and out of view. I expect my students and I will be doing more of this next summer - we'll be in trees a lot doing research on hydrologic limitations on maximum tree height. This will involve repeated entry into trees either during a given day or on several successive days. I've never encountered any one else's line (so far I'm the only rec climber I know of in this area), but I'd probably just leave it alone.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128357 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
I'd use it to set my line only if it was in a crotch that I would've thrown into in the first place.

If I couldn't tell for sure...then I'd just pretend it wasn't there.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128494 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
If I wanted to climb the tree, then I'd use the tag line. Then replace it.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128496 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
^ what if the line condition was poor?

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128504 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
I would use any line to set my own line, but I would never climb any line that wasn't my own, or accounted for....

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128508 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
The original post from Peter asked what you would do if you found a 1/8" line used to pull up climbing ropes. Of course I would never climb on ropes that I found set in trees, unless I knew who set them and when.

If the condition of the tag line (a phrase Genevieve taught me), was okay, I would use it to pull up a rope to climb on. That assumes I can trust the anchor.

If the tag line broke while I was pulling it up, then I would make reasonable attempts to remove all of it from the tree. That could mean setting my own lines and climbing to retrieve it.

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128530 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
If my own assessment concluded that the tie in point held by the fixed line was also my desired tie in point, I would 1) suspect that another recreational climber planned to return and climb using this tie in point again, 2) use it to pull up my own throw line, and 3) replace the fixed line when I retrieved my equipment.

Before reading this post, I probably would not have thought it would lead to something unexpected. But the question made me consider that the line might be left as an "invitation" to find something as I ascend.

If recreational tree climbing grows enough, finding such a line could become commonplace.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128583 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic Finding a fixed line in a tree.
climbing a throw line or even parachute cord is never a good idea because its so hard to tie such tiny knots.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds