How old are tree climbers?

• harrywbarnhurst
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124638 by harrywbarnhurst
Replied by harrywbarnhurst on topic Wow!
Jim,

You are definitely 64 years YOUNG. Keep it up. I guess that we never did talk ages about it at Bob's, but you are definitely an inspiration. Hopefully we will get to climb together this spring.

I hope that you enjoyed your German Chocolate Cake. If Kernsloth knew he might have made his infamous pineapple upside-down cake.

Well a belated Happy Birthday!!!! I will talk with you soon.

Be well my friend,

In Peace,

Legolas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124640 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic How old are tree climbers?
I turned 51 this morning! :D

When I was about six we moved to a house that was surrounded by woods. Of course we had tree forts and spent lots of time playing in the woods. Started climbing professionaly when I was about 19.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124647 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic How old are tree climbers?
Well to chime in on this -

I'm 51, started climbing this fall. I got here through a very wierd route.

I returned to backpacking last year after 20 years off. I like to make my own stuff so I researched backpacking equipment to make. In the process I got hooked on making and using a hammock instead of a tent.

This fall as I was doing some internet searches for hammocks I hit the Treeboat site. From there I drifted to their links on recreational tree climbing, got hooked, got Flower's book, and off I went. Now I'm trying to figure out how to carry the heavy rope etc in my lightweight backpack so when I go out this summer I can sleep in the trees.

People have often accused me of not having my feet on the ground. Now I can prove them right.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124648 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Happy Birthday Tom!
Quite a long stint in the professionla tree climbing arena. I wish I would have found it earlier. I started when I was 28.

I remember tree forts too. A also remember the cicadas in the trees on hot summer days.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124654 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic How old are tree climbers?

Originally posted by docteric
Well to chime in on this -

... Now I'm trying to figure out how to carry the heavy rope etc in my lightweight backpack so when I go out this summer I can sleep in the trees.

I have an unnatural obsession with the ultra-light mentality. I don't always employ these techniques, but often I do.

Get an 11mm rope first of all. Blaze is made by Yale, is light, affordable, and niiiiiice! Get rid of any steel carabiners you have. There's a lot that can be done, but that's for another thread!

love
nick, the 25 year old

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
13 years 5 months ago #134929 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:How old are tree climbers?
Another rainy day, more coffee,(espresso to be exact)more time in the archives...

I'm 45. Climbed trees as a kid. Nice black cherry on our place, a cool chestnut at our neighbors, plus many others. I didn't start climbing professionally until I was 40. Now I'm in hook line and sinker. Or should I say carabiner, rope, and throw bag. :cheer:

Ron.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds