Adjusting the "cougar"

• rcames2005
  • rcames2005's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #138046 by rcames2005
Adjusting the "cougar" was created by rcames2005
Good day all. Bearing in mind that I have never done this before. I am looking for some guidance on how to properly fit my weaver cougar saddle. I purchased the one with leg straps and far as I can tell is the proper size. I have hung in it for about an hour and I am just trying to fine tune the fit of everything. I am unsure of exactly what I am looking for in the fit category. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am about 5''7 and weigh about 150lbs. I would like to know what adjustments can be made and how it affects the comfort. I haven't found much from the weaver instructions. Thank you in advance for help given. I know that time is important to everyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #138048 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Adjusting the "cougar"

rcames2005 wrote: Good day all. Bearing in mind that I have never done this before. I am looking for some guidance on how to properly fit my weaver cougar saddle. I purchased the one with leg straps and far as I can tell is the proper size. I have hung in it for about an hour and I am just trying to fine tune the fit of everything. I am unsure of exactly what I am looking for in the fit category. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am about 5''7 and weigh about 150lbs. I would like to know what adjustments can be made and how it affects the comfort. I haven't found much from the weaver instructions. Thank you in advance for help given. I know that time is important to everyone.

Check out this video, appears to be a recreational climber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxEAShILfo

As you'll see in the video there is adjustment on the waist belt to move the bridge forward or backwards. The leg straps are adjustable and the straps from the back of the leg straps to the back of the waist belt are adjustable. What you're looking to achieve is a comfortable hang angle, so you are not pitched too far back when you're suspended feet off the tree.

The adjusters on the back of the leg straps control where the leg strap pads sit on your thighs, too close up into your groin and you'll suffer, too far towards the knees and you won't have good support. The leg straps themselves should be adjusted just loose enough so that you can move them by hand when you're on rope, for example in certain climbing positions the leg pads will ride up, you want to be able to wiggle them back to their optimal position.

The bridge adjusters on each side of the waist belt brings the bridge in closer or lets it out. If the bridge is closer to your abdomen you will hang more upright, moved out you pitch back more. It's probably set at an optimal point as is, I wouldn't adjust unless the current hang angle is uncomfortable. As you climb more you'll get a sense of how you want your bridge/hang angle adjusted.

A note on the leg pads, they are not built for comfort. This is the challenge for harnesses built for arborist work, there is an assumption in the design that the climber will have their feet on the tree most of the time. In rec climbing it seems there are more situations where you'll find yourself hanging with your feet off the tree, harness with more skimpy leg pads will hurt fairly quickly. Lately harness designers have been coming up with more comfortable leg straps/pads for working climbers. The Tree Motion and the latest Petzl Sequoia for example have improved leg support. New Tribe harnesses made in Oregon have always had the best leg strap design, very comfortable.
-AJ
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by moss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rcames2005

• rcames2005
  • rcames2005's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #138049 by rcames2005
Replied by rcames2005 on topic Adjusting the "cougar"
Thanks for the information. I'm beginning to get things dialed in I think. It's not something I've ever done before so I am getting used to the feelings and pressure in different places. I had seen the video mentioned as well. I'm learning by hanging of the trusses in my barn. So I do not have any place for my feet to step on. Hip thrusting with no feet support is interesting. But I suppose I'm also learning to footlock as well. It's all good.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds