• Tikidelico
  • Tikidelico's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #137873 by Tikidelico
Friction Saver-minimize friction was created by Tikidelico
Hey has anyone try this setup?
gear used, ring cambium saver, dmm locksafe steel carabiner, pinto pulley.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #137874 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Friction Saver-minimize friction
I'm more interested in what rope you're using, nice color pattern ;-)

Your anchor rig looks effective, it looks like a decent work climbing setup. From a rec climbing perspective, it can be difficult to set from the ground, and potentially challenging to retrieve from the ground. Are you using it primarily for work or rec? Do you set it up from the ground or after you're up in tree?

Thanks,
-AJ

• Tikidelico
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #137876 by Tikidelico
Replied by Tikidelico on topic Friction Saver-minimize friction
hey, the rope is tachyon ash, I love it.

So far I've been using is just for recreational and actually had no problems installing it from the ground, I've been thinking to cut off the small ring and leave the carbine only and then minimize the risk that it get stuck but I think is good to leave it in place as a backup, retrieval hasn't been harder than a normal ring saver. Quite easy to move around in the canopy once up in the tree just un-clipping the carbine from the webbing.

THANK A LOT!

More
6 years 11 months ago #137877 by moss

tikidelico wrote: hey, the rope is tachyon ash, I love it.

So far I've been using is just for recreational and actually had no problems installing it from the ground, I've been thinking to cut off the small ring and leave the carbine only and then minimize the risk that it get stuck but I think is good to leave it in place as a backup, retrieval hasn't been harder than a normal ring saver. Quite easy to move around in the canopy once up in the tree just un-clipping the carbine from the webbing.

THANK A LOT!

Sounds good, you're more patient than I am, the throwline work gets tricky with that kind of install. Aha, so it's Tachyon, my favorite rope.
-AJ

More
6 years 11 months ago #137878 by moss
You've probably seen this approach, the Dan House/Elliot Su style rope sleeve. Very easy to install and advance in the tree as you re-pitch. It's built from 3/4" liquid tight electrical conduit, interior is metal lined, very smooth/rope friendly:

-AJ

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #137883 by benjhind
Replied by benjhind on topic Friction Saver-minimize friction
I haven't tried the setup, but I've definitely seen it! Jeff Jepson's Tree Climber's Companion features it (P. 27 in 2nd Edition). Jepson shows it with a screw link to the pulley and a carabiner on the other end.

This would easily be fashioned with a loop of tubular webbing (using tape to secure the carabiner and screw link at opposite ends). I meant to give it a whirl, but I've been using the model Moss shows and like it so much it is hard imagining a better system.

Edits: Jepson reminds the reader that any friction reduced at the tie-in-point must also increase friction at the hitch, increasing wear and potential for binding.

One advantage this system has would be on small branches where the bed radius is tighter than the radius of the conduit. I try to avoid small tie-in points but this would be good on the 2x4 roof trusses I practice on in my shop.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by benjhind.

More
6 years 10 months ago #137884 by moss

benjhind wrote: One advantage this system has would be on small branches where the bed radius is tighter than the radius of the conduit. I try to avoid small tie-in points but this would be good on the 2x4 roof trusses I practice on in my shop.

For the conduit I show in the photo I'm getting a bend radius a little under 3.5", generally speaking I don't want to be hanging my life on anything smaller than that. Even then for a 3.5" diameter branch it needs to be a hardwood species and I want my rope right at the union with trunk.

That said it is wise not to use a conduit saver where there are sharp edges or very tight angles, even if the bend radius on the wood is ok. I've destroyed a few of them on the tight vertical unions often found in the upper crowns of American Beech.

Installing ring/rings (or the friction saver shown in the original post) from the ground is fine when the limb is in an optimal position with no obstructions but often that is not the case. For moving it around in the canopy, the set up shown is excellent over a ring/ring saver since the rope doesn't need to be pulled all the way through the rings.
-AJ

• Tikidelico
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 10 months ago #137885 by Tikidelico
Replied by Tikidelico on topic Friction Saver-minimize friction
hey people
I've been using the setup shown up here fore some days now, both on recreational and work and I had no problems, the only thing is that a few times the big ring jams in the pulley when the saver is twisting a little due to the angle of the anchor but this does not present a problem. I've put a DMM Pinto spacer in the pulley so the big ring is not getting all the way in and rubbing into the wheel, and this can be solved if you take the weight out of the system and shake the rope so the big ring get straight again.

will keep trying and giving you updates.

I do use Conduit Dan house sometimes, and actually was the only saver I used in the firsts climbs after the workshop with Tengu. Have one installed on my long lanyard. Love the simplicity of it and will keep using it sometimes depending of the tree and kind of climbing. Will actually try to order smaller ones to other lanyard.

thanks for the feedback.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds