Tree Climbers International Forum

Register today!  Website registration is required to participate in our Forums. Register now and start posting your comments!

New climbers! These Forums are not intended as a substitute for professional tree climbing instruction. Please do not use them for that purpose. We urge you learn the fundamentals of safe tree climbing by taking a “Basic Tree Climbing Course,” or by purchasing TCI’s "Tree Climbing Basics” DVD or online BTCC.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Home Made Grapnel

Home Made Grapnel 9 months 3 weeks ago #137852

• benjhind
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Climbing on a budget, I like to make my own gear when I can. Here is a copy of a popular grapnel made from No. 9 fencing wire. I wrapped it in picture wire from the dollar store and hit it with plumbing solder, ground off any sharp edges and taped it up. Took me a good half hour but it works great. Could maybe use some lead to give it more weight but works as-is.
he4f2c8f.jpg

h1fea238.jpg

he056470.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Home Made Grapnel 9 months 2 weeks ago #137856

• Greenluck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Very nice homemade grapnel. I made one with some 1/4" j bolts and an eye bolt from the hardware store using 2 part epoxy as the bonding agent. Sometimes I'll stick a large rare earth magnet (1"x1") on the bottom to add weight and increase the chances of grabbing the bag. Just be careful using the magnet around camera equipment...

My version can be seen briefly and in action at 5:11 in the attached video link.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds

Visitor Login