Rope Runner Tale of Caution

• Oldtown138
  • Oldtown138's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago #137691 by Oldtown138
Rope Runner Tale of Caution was created by Oldtown138
I just wanted to let folks who use the Singing Tree Rope Runner know of a minor caution. The issue is if you use a small accessory carabiner or key ring to attach to the rope runner for tending with a lanyard over the shoulder. I use a key ring and noticed a problem last week. I advanced my tie-in-point on a basal anchor and after retrieving the rope runner and clipping back into it, the carabiner had captured the key ring and was stuck making the rope runner not engage. I was bucked in when I noticed it, so I was able to safely fix the issue. You can see this issue in the picture. I think if you were to shock load the runner it would bend the key ring and engage. However, with a carabiner this may not be the case. Overall, I don't think this is a major issue but I thought I would let folks know.

-Nate

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: patty, Bob4st

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #137703 by Greenluck
Replied by Greenluck on topic Rope Runner Tale of Caution
That's a good warning about the key ring on the Rope Runner. Would a soft tether point be better such as a loop of para-cord or throw line? Other than the key ring issue how are you enjoying the RR? I've been eyeing them for some time.

I did save and purchase a Hitchhiker a while ago and it rocks. I was confronted with the same type of problem...How do i tend this? I went from a soft homemade sewn eye and eye tether to a rigid plastic add-on specifically designed for the task.

Also, it appears you have a great forests there to practice in. It looks a lot like the forest we have here in southeastern Ohio.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Greenluck.

• Oldtown138
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
7 years 4 months ago #137709 by Oldtown138
Replied by Oldtown138 on topic Rope Runner Tale of Caution
Greenluck,

Yes, a soft tether works great. I just use a small piece of my throwline (you can do the same with the hitchhiker). Another solution that a climber in my office uses is running a very small aluminum S carabiner through the core of his lanyard that can then be attached to the rope runner for tending. The rope runner is an amazing device. It took me a couple weeks to get comfortable using it to perform full crown inspections, but once you become familiar with it the runner is awesome.

The forest in the picture is in Southwestern Ohio. I will actually be heading to Southwest Ohio December 3 to rec climb with a friend. If your close to the Athens area you should join.

-Nate

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #137710 by Greenluck
A recreational climb near Athens would be great. I live just outside of Roseville, OH so it would be a close drive for me. December 3, 2016 is a Saturday so I'm off. Where are you planning on climbing? Plenty of good choices down that way....

• Oldtown138
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
7 years 4 months ago #137712 by Oldtown138
Replied by Oldtown138 on topic Rope Runner Tale of Caution
Greenluck,

I don't have all the details yet, but it will probably be in the Logan area. Give me your email address and I will keep in touch.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #137715 by Greenluck
XXXXXXXXXXX. Give me some notice if you can.

Mike

More
7 years 4 months ago #137728 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rope Runner Tale of Caution
Yeah, another issue with Rope Runner tending/tether attachments is that the "bird" (upper release) can be locked down and open if a loop (soft attachment) or small carabiner is used to attach to your HUT (Holder Upper Thingy). For example the carabiner in the photo above could easily catch the bird and cause an out-of-control descent. So whatever you use, verify that it can't grab the bird when the runner is compressed down in descent mode.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds