• chiutai
  • chiutai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #137412 by chiutai
self made harness was created by chiutai
Hi all
I'm new to tree climbing, as a novice I climbed very frequently in the past several months. The pics which I showed is the harness I made. please comment on it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chiutai
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #137413 by chiutai
Replied by chiutai on topic self made harness
Harness used in climbing
Attachments:

More
8 years 8 months ago #137414 by moss
Replied by moss on topic self made harness
Too painful for me. Those sling/leg straps would cause my legs to go completely numb in minutes!

Look up "Harness Hang Syndrome"

It doesn't seem to have a waist belt, if you invert you're going to have some problems.
-AJ

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #137415 by moss
Replied by moss on topic self made harness
I would list the following as the minimal requirements for a safe tree climbing harness:

1. Waist belt with a life support quality closure/buckle
2. Leg straps with sufficient pressure distribution that a climber can sit in the harness with feet off the tree for at least 10 minutes. Things can happen very quickly in trees where you have to solve a problem and you can't get your feet on the tree, sometimes for a very long time.
3. All harness components and connections designed and fabricated to create life support quality for work positioning climbing.

For example rock climbing harnesses do not work for tree climbing and they are not safe for tree climbing. They are made to catch you if you fall on a high stretch rock rope. Tree climbing harnesses are called "work positioning" harnesses, which means that the climber weight is on the harness most of the time during a climb. Tree climber ropes are static or semi-static, either way very low stretch. That's why tree climbers say "We don't fall", the tree climbing system is not designed to catch falls, a climber can be seriously injured falling onto static rope in a tree climbing system.

All that said I applaud your efforts but strongly suggest you're approaching it from the wrong direction, a tree harness should have much more waist and leg support than a rock harness. Your harness is more minimal than a rock harness and is what I consider unsafe for tree climbing.
-AJ
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by moss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tree-D

• chiutai
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #137417 by chiutai
Replied by chiutai on topic self made harness
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I appreciate it. maybe I'll modify my harness to suite the requirements of safety.

More
8 years 7 months ago #137439 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic self made harness
While I applaud your enginuity and resourcefulness, I do not think this is safe and discourage anyone from making their own harness.

More
8 years 6 months ago #137513 by SlipNot
Replied by SlipNot on topic self made harness
When I started out, I used a DIY harness with a central butterfly knot as the attachment point and two bowline on a bight for leg loops and a water knot loop around the waist. I only used that harness to tie in on small trees that I could free-climb, never to hang from. Your photos show you in what looks like a big tree that required you to climb the rope. Your harness, what I described and probably any DIY harness are all inadequate (unsafe) for anything larger than a sapling. A good quality commercial harness is far cheaper than an emergency room visit.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds