Lanyards for conventional pole-climbing stance?

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #136811 by Davej
This is pretty off-topic for this board, but recently when I was testing my old spurs on the last stage of a dead tree removal in my front yard I was really unhappy with my lanyard situation. I have one of Moss's conventional lanyards and a wire-core lanyard with a micro-cender. I used them both together. Neither one of them made me happy in the situation of a upright climbing lineman. In the case of Moss's lanyard my hand naturally rested on the Valdotain Tresse (or whatever it is) and so grabbing the lanyard actually could release the knot. In the case of the micro-cender there was so much slop in the microcender-caribiner-D-ring that it was a two-handed job to take up slack. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #136812 by moss
I would go with a Michoacan or Knut to have a less fidgety hitch for that type of lanyard use. I've had zero problems with accidental lanyard hitch release using spurs on a removal with a snugly tied Michoacan.
-AJ

More
9 years 8 months ago #136813 by Nimbadon
Sounds more like a technique problem to me. When I climb our palm trees, I keep my hands right up where the flip line meets the trunk, if you have the correct body position your hitch/rope grab won't be near your hands, unless you are on a very skinny pole. :blink:

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #136814 by Davej
Well, it isn't as if I have spent much time on spurs. In fact I didn't really think I was ever going to use the spurs, but then I realized they had a definite role when it came to chunking down the trunk as the final phase of a tree removal in tight quarters. I used an electric chainsaw which I deemed slightly better for safety, but I did not feel confident with either of these lanyards.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Davej. Reason: Added details

More
9 years 8 months ago #136862 by Nimbadon
My hat goes off to you for having a crack Dave, I've never had a good time in gaffs.
It was spur climbing that got me into technical tree climbing, so while I'm not a fan of climbing in them, I'm very grateful for the door they opened.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #136865 by Davej
The only reason I own a pair of spurs is that I didn't know any better, so my first purchase off of Ebay included them. Later I realized the error and thought I would never use them. They sank to the bottom of my gear box. Now I see they do have a role; when you actually need to chunk down a tree.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds