Does anyone has use Petzl Zigzag Combine ISC ZK2?

More
9 years 6 months ago #137033 by dogwood

Nimbadon wrote: Hey Wachins, welcome to the forum ;)

The thing about the zigzag is that it does and is operated the same way as a hitch, but without the versatility of a hitch
Now I haven't played with one, but it doesn't look like you can adjust the friction( someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

When I went from doubled rope to single line, the first thing I noticed is that my hitch needed some refining
Maybe the zigzag is set perfectly for it, but it took me a while to find a hitch, and cord type and size that worked well for me on the RW

Moss your point about side loading is bang on, this can also happen in doubled rope configuration, bit concerning really

What is it about the zigzag that is so appealing to you Wachins?

Good question, Nimbadon! I like gear as much as anyone, especially if it's new and shiny. But, hey, Wachins, since you already have the Rope Wrench, you could get a nice pulley, like the Hitch Climber or Pinto and some cordage like Ocean Poly or HRC, for considerably less cost. The friction hitch IS life support, whether you use it SRT or DdRT, and you can customize it to suit your needs, depending on the rope you're climbing and your climbing style.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wachins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #137034 by patty
Hi Wachins,
TCI produced a DVD several years ago called "Tree Climbing Basics" which we sell on our website store. Thousands of people around the world have bought it and learned to climb from it. I encourage you to get one and continue to use these Forums!
patty

• wachins
  • wachins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #137036 by wachins
To Nimbadon and dogwood.
I was using 8mm bee-line and DMM's three holes pulley in tree climbing DRT technology.

Later, I use ZK2 combined it into SRT, but I found that using VT(or other) friction knot in SRT technology, the situation rope wear let me a little worried(too HEAT).

Also in Taiwan to buy 8mm of bee-line price is not low, so I consider the life of the equipment, so "try" to use mechanical equipment to reduce losses.

To Patty.
Thank you for your suggestion.
I had a Tree Climbing Basics DVD and The Tree Climbers Companion (American friends to help buy).

In fact, I often use international express buy the necessary equipment in the United States, tree climbing equipment website, but whether it is books or equipment, a lot of things that need is experience and know-how, which is money can not buy. So I try, through videos, photos, such a comparison is no language barriers messaging to learn.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #137037 by dogwood

wachins wrote: To Nimbadon and dogwood.
I was using 8mm bee-line and DMM's three holes pulley in tree climbing DRT technology.

Later, I use ZK2 combined it into SRT, but I found that using VT(or other) friction knot in SRT technology, the situation rope wear let me a little worried(too HEAT).

Also in Taiwan to buy 8mm of bee-line price is not low, so I consider the life of the equipment, so "try" to use mechanical equipment to reduce losses.

What climbing line (rope) are you using, wachins? Allow me to suggest that you try 10mm hitch cordage. Don't worry about the heat, these cords are designed for this purpose, and can take a lot of heat. Also, instead of spliced cordage, which is more expensive, you can buy cordage by the foot, cut to suitable length, and tie to your carabiner. You could buy 10' - 20', or as much as you like. This way,you can replace hitch cords when they show signs of too much wear, and save some money.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by dogwood.

More
9 years 6 months ago #137038 by Nimbadon
How much rope wear are you talking about? Unless you are constantly bombing out of the trees beeline should hold up for a long time.
In my opinion the VT is a terrible hitch, try a Knut hitch it's my favourite at the moment
Got to go to work now but I'll get you some more info on it later

• wachins
  • wachins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #137040 by wachins
To dogwood and Nimbadon.

Last year, I bought about 21 feet of the Bee-line from the tree Stuff.com, used as a follow-up replacement. Also bought samsonrope.com of SPLICING DVD and SPLICING KIT.

But you know, I have a one year old little girl. I do not have much time to do tailoring work and learn this technique :)

As for the heat problem, mainly after use I found bee-line has blackened surface phenomenon, I worried about security issues, thereby reducing the frequency of use, so it began experimenting with Zigzag.

About VT knot, I think his biggest problem is on the rise not force the process, VT easily deformed. This is in addition to hot outside I am more worried about the place.
Attachments:

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #137042 by dogwood
Wachins,

The blackened surface phenomenon which you refer to is usually just dirt. The heat is to be expected, and the Beeline, in particular has a very high melting point, something like 900 degrees F. These cords are extremely tough and long lasting. Unless you are doing some really heavy duty climbing, all day every day as a working arborist, or routinely zipping out of trees at a high rate of speed, your hitch will last quite a long time. Wearing gloves can help to grip the rope, and make tending a hot hitch more comfortable.

An eye to eye spliced hitchcord has its advantages, but you can do very well by tying the ends of your hitchcord with a cinching knot to the carabiner. That way you don't have to worry about splicing. Of course, splicing is a very interesting hobby all on its own!

It takes a while to get all of the elements of an SRT system to work well together. Advanced hitches, like the VT for instance, have subtleties that take some time to explore, whether you're climbing SRT or DdRT. But that's part of the fun. Take your time, and make sure that with any new technique or piece of gear, go low and slow, until you're comfortable with it.

I'm glad you found this forum, and we are all interested to learn about your adventures. Have fun, and above all, climb safe.

Walter
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by dogwood.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds