Mar-bar ascending system

• Erock
  • Erock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #135920 by Erock
Mar-bar ascending system was created by Erock
As a noob climber and having accumulated more years than I want to believe, I'm always on the lookout for gizmos that will enhance the ease and efficiency of my climbing. I came across the Mar-bar ascension system and saw my need fulfilled. Then I read it's no longer in production :angry: - does anyone know anything about this? I'm curious to know why it's not made any more. I've included a couple of links about it.

Erock

http://www.treebuzz.com/pdf/CC_Aug07.pdf (pg. 52)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #135921 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Mar-bar ascending system
Erock wrote:

As a noob climber and having accumulated more years than I want to believe, I'm always on the lookout for gizmos that will enhance the ease and efficiency of my climbing. I came across the Mar-bar ascension system and saw my need fulfilled. Then I read it's no longer in production :angry: - does anyone know anything about this? I'm curious to know why it's not made any more. I've included a couple of links about it.

Erock

I think there a few reasons, it's arm intensive for a mechanical system and the gear is bulky and heavy compared to other mechanical ascent systems. Notice that the climber is ascending a static doubled rope, I think climbers who access trees this way still prefer secured footlock technique.

I don't think many rec climbers are accessing trees with a doubled rope climbed as a static system (as in the video). More typically they're climbing a doubled rope with a hitch on a dynamic system (the rope is moving as they climb) or they're climbing single rope on a static system with mechanical ascenders.
-AJ

• Erock
  • Erock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #135923 by Erock
Replied by Erock on topic Re:Mar-bar ascending system
Aha...makes sense. Thanks AJ. I suppose as I get more experience and pour through some of the great gear catalogs, I'll find my way to a good system for me. I'll be polling the TCI forum for guidance from time to time. It's a great resource.
Eric

• davejelliott4467
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #136077 by davejelliott4467
Replied by davejelliott4467 on topic Re: Mar-bar ascending system
I ordered the MAR BAR system about three years ago.
I use it for urban tree climbing
Example
Get into the tree as quick as possible without anyone noticing then set up camp in the canopy and hang out all day with hammock food books it's a wonderful time
The Mar Bar comes into play because you are able to haul heavy loads quite easily and quickly

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #136080 by Treedude22
Replied by Treedude22 on topic Re:Mar-bar ascending system
I have a set of Mar-Bars and use them regularly for more than a decade in full time production tree care. They are an amazing tool and I highly recommend them. Used properly with the proper length attachment they use almost entirely the large muscle groups of the legs. They are extremely easy to build redundancy into your ascent system as well.

I will post some pics and ideas soon.

As stated they are no longer for sale, but you may be able to find a used pair. They also would not be hard to replicate with "aftermarket" materials. The originals do not alter the four ascenders in any way. Really just tube, webbing, buckles and rubber stiffeners.

Tony
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Treedude22. Reason: Added Pix!

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds