• ali25351729q
  • ali25351729q's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #135889 by ali25351729q
Beginner Climbing Kit Recommendation was created by ali25351729q
Hello,

I am a new forum member and just recently came across this great web site and learned of TCI. My fiance and I recently purchased our first home outside of DC with 2.1 wood acres. It took a couple of months, but a light bulb went off the other day when I realized I can experience nature in a new way in the comfort of my own backyard.

With that said, I will be purchasing the Tree Climbing Basics DVD and Tree Climber's Companion book to get started. Next, I'll need equipment and here is where I need some advice. There are a number of beginner kits I have come across on various web sites. I just need a basic complete kit with safety as the number one priority. I don't necessarily need a helmet right away, since I have a variety of bike helmets that would likely work well for recreational tree climbing.

I am naturally biased towards TCI's own kit ($584). However, as a new homeowner, I also need to be cost conscious and a few other kits are less expensive.

$410: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Recreational-Gear/Climbing-Kits_2/Climbing-Kit-433

$349: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=180&item=212

$399: http://wesspur.com/climbing-kits/basic-rope-climbing-kit.html

With that said, any feedback is much appreciated. Does the TCI kit really offer the bare minimum at the best price? My limited research would suggest there are cheaper options, but I am a complete novice and could be completely wrong.

P.S. I used the search tool with keyword "kit" and found six results, none of which discussed beginner kit options. If I missed a post that answers my question, please let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkforge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #135890 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Beginner Climbing Kit Recommendation
The TreeStuff kit is the best of the three you linked to. The other two kits are aimed at beginning arborist work climbers so some of the gear included doesn't make any sense for a rec climber. Good luck and enjoy your backyard trees!
-AJ

• ali25351729q
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #135891 by ali25351729q
Replied by ali25351729q on topic Re:Beginner Climbing Kit Recommendation
Thank you for the feedback, AJ! Are you saying TCI's own kit ($584) isn't necessarily for recreational climbers either? What is your opinion of it in general?

http://www.treeclimbing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=277:the-tci-basic-tree-climbing-kit&catid=22&Itemid=140

Now that I've been reading into things more, I am more and more intrigued by SRT versus DRT. Are these beginner kits designed for DRT only? How much more equipment would be necessary to allow SRT climbing?

More
11 years 6 months ago #135892 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Beginner Climbing Kit Recommendation
Seneca wrote:

Thank you for the feedback, AJ! Are you saying TCI's own kit ($584) isn't necessarily for recreational climbers either? What is your opinion of it in general?

http://www.treeclimbing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=277:the-tci-basic-tree-climbing-kit&catid=22&Itemid=140

Now that I've been reading into things more, I am more and more intrigued by SRT versus DRT. Are these beginner kits designed for DRT only? How much more equipment would be necessary to allow SRT climbing?

TCI's kit is a an excellent rec climber's gear set. You're getting more gear with it so it's going to cost more.

SRT requires additional gear, the treeStuff or TCI beginner kit is a good foundation for SRT climbing. Many ways to climb SRT but if you went with the the most beginner friendly system, either a Yo-Yo (also called RADS) or a Texas System (also called a jugging system) you're talking approximately $250 in additional hardware.

I'd recommend working on DRT skills first before attempting to teach yourself SRT. A lot of buzz about SRT techniques in the tree climber community right now but... the majority of climbers pushing the envelope with new SRT techniques are highly experienced DRT climbers. SRT requires higher technical proficiency to safely configure and climb the system.
-AJ

• ali25351729q
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #135893 by ali25351729q
AJ,

I appreciate the detailed response. You really did a great job clarifying for me the notion of starting out with DRT- being the safer (and cheaper) way. I'm the kind of guy who learns things quickly and is always taking things to the next level. I didn't want to invest in equipment tailored for DRT if SRT was just around the corner for me. But from what I gather, climbing for a novice should be done with a "baby steps" approach and I am fine doing that knowing it won't take much to convert over to a SRT setup eventually. I just didn't want to buy one set of equipment and then have to start over with SRT down the road.

Thanks for spreading your knowledge!

More
11 years 6 months ago #135894 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Beginner Climbing Kit Recommendation
Hi Senica, First off welcome to tree climbing.

I would like to mention that if you purchase from Treestuff.com you can get an even better deal by typing ARBORIST in the blank for coupons.

• ali25351729q
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #135895 by ali25351729q
Great! Thank you for the heads up. I was actually going to purchase a TCI membership prior to buying my equipment to receive a 10% discount. I assume the ARBORIST coupon code is less than 10%, but I will certainly give it a try!

Treezybreez wrote:

Hi Senica, First off welcome to tree climbing.

I would like to mention that if you purchase from Treestuff.com you can get an even better deal by typing ARBORIST in the blank for coupons.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds