Petzl Navaho BOD, good enough for learning on?

• buswrappervern
  • buswrappervern's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #135835 by buswrappervern
Petzl Navaho BOD, good enough for learning on? was created by buswrappervern
Trying to get into the hobby of rope assisted tree climbing. I can have a free new Navaho BOD from a relative who retired from a mine safety career.

Would you use a Petzl Navaho BOD harness if it was offered for free, or let it be donated to the local volunteer firefighters.

Or should I just keep saving for a basic weaver of similar cheap saddle.

Note: I currently climb rock wall style with a sport harness and a simple fall arrest lanyard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• buswrappervern
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #135836 by buswrappervern
Replied by buswrappervern on topic Re:Petzl Navaho BOD, good enough for learning on?
it is the Petzl Navaho SIT with the shoulder straps.

Going to give it a go once I get a motion lanyard for starters.

More
11 years 8 months ago #135837 by 2chops
Welcome aboard buswrappervern. The problem with any second hand gear is that you just don't know what the previous owner did to/with it. Especialy if used in a work situation. I wouldsave some cash and buy a saddle made apecifically for tree climbing. Forget the rock harness. Way uncomfortable if hung in for more than 2 breaths. Same for rope and hardware. Buy arborist rope and locking biners. Don't skimp on your life support.

• buswrappervern
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #135838 by buswrappervern
Replied by buswrappervern on topic Re:Petzl Navaho BOD, good enough for learning on?
I 100% trust the condition of the harness. Used once for training in rope access mine rescue procedures.

Just wanted to know if this harness would be reasonable to learn with. Will the fixed central attachment be impossible for reaching around. Has the hip Dee for lanyard movement.

99% fun climbing and desire to learn, with at most use my hand pruner while I am there.

Replacing my awkward black diamond harness and bouncy dynamic rope that was interesting for foot locking, with more appropriate gear. Was fun treating tree like a wall but moving forward.

Will focus on safety lanyard and rope next if harness will work for now.

More
11 years 7 months ago #135844 by Bofh
I'd say it's an excellent saddle, I've just brought one myself after seeking advice from quite a few tree surgeons. It's a matter of comfort and safety, then usability I think. Try it for size and make sure you can hang comfortably in it for a while. You can spend a great deal of money on a saddle but if it's not comfortable then it's a bit useless.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds