• Blankster
  • Blankster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 11 months ago #135816 by Blankster
Singing Rock Timber 2 harness was created by Blankster
Hi,

I'm rather limited to saddle choice here in South Africa, but for service and support purposes I still want to try and use what's available. Petzl and Singing Rock is well established here, so it comes down to the standard Petzl Sequoia vs Singing Rock Timber 2. I want to use it more for rec climbing and the occasional arbor work.

Anybody know more about the Singing Rock timber series harnesses and whether they're worthwhile? Their 2011-12 model is now at least 3rd generation evolution of their arbor gear an looks pretty slick for a starter saddle.

What you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #135819 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Singing Rock Timber 2 harness
The designs are very similar ergonomically, I think it comes down to hanging in each harness and seeing what you think. If you have the opportunity to do that at an arborist gear retailer that would be great.
-AJ

• Blankster
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #135820 by Blankster
Replied by Blankster on topic Re:Singing Rock Timber 2 harness
Thanks, unfortunately no arb retailer in South Africa( basically have to source through Climbing, Rope Access, Agriculture and chainsaw outlets. I'll most probably go the online route once I know more).

Lucky for me, the SR Timber II was listed in a very comprehensive gear comparison chart in Arb Climber #1 and has just been reviewed in-depth in issue #2 (great mag btw). The review is exactly what I wanted to know. So I guess I'll be putting in an order at the end of the week.

...[watch this space]

More
11 years 10 months ago #135821 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Singing Rock Timber 2 harness
You can't go wrong with the Sequoia. Just make sure to buy an extra bridge preferably the warp speed bridge.

I've never tried the Timber2 saddle; sounds interesting.

• Blankster
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #135840 by Blankster
Some feedback.

Finally got this harness a while back and I've been playing on/off with it whenever I have some time, but today I spent the whole day with it up in the branches, practicing/hand-pruning, and this harness was a real pleasure to use. This is a floating bridge type saddle, so maneuverability is key with this harness and it's pretty awesome when one can confidently move about and reach the tightest places with good gear. This is my first tree harness I've tried and it kicks @ss when compared to all the non-arbor harnesses I've tried to date.

I'm a severely unfit size 44, 127kg 39y/o IT guy and this harness fit me very comfortably and there was some room to spare. Compared to my climbing harness this is ultra comfort, and while the crappy climbing rig use to give me back problems, there wasn't a single issue with the Timber II. I'm still tinkering with the adjustable components, as long term free hanging is a problem, but this is mostly due to my unique physique( my belly :blush: seems to keep pushing the top part down, resulting in less back support).

Verdict so far for the Timber 2 after a full day up and about: 2 Thumbs up from me, no pinching/chafing/back-pains anywhere and I can't wait to go up again tomorrow, that is, if I can ever feel my legs again :laugh: ( Man! I'm seriously unfit, but I'm getting better)
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Blankster.

More
11 years 8 months ago #135841 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Singing Rock Timber 2 harness
Glad that harness worked out for you. Since you are having trouble with the back sliding down give suspenders or a top harness a try. I use cheap suspenders to hold up my harness when a chain saw is hanging off it and it work well.

• Blankster
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #135842 by Blankster
Thanks for the tip. Will definitely look into that

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds