• ffbrendan1
  • ffbrendan1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135762 by ffbrendan1
Harness setup was created by ffbrendan1
Hey guys,
I'm always interested in how other people have their saddle setup. I have a way that works for me but its always cool to see different setups. (ie. what gear do you have where on your harness).
I will have to get around to post some pics of my setup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #135774 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Harness setup
Here's my NT Tengu harness a year ago, pretty much the same now...

Left side
150' throwline, 6 and 8oz throwbag, green zipper bag with whatever SRT kit I'm carrying that day, includes a Grigri and an ascent system.

Front
Pear screwlink, split tail attaches to blue carabiner, for DRT other end of the rope attaches to screwlink with a locking carabiner, rated ring on doubled dynema sling for alternate non-binding life support attachment (used in SRT traverses etc.)

Right side
Black zippered bag contains two 28" eye-2-eye split tails, two micro pulleys, one NT grapnel, one headlamp, one Pantin foot ascender.

Back
Two sling runners attached to mini D's

I'm always geared up to climb SRT or DRT. I also carry a 15' adjustable lanyard when I'm in the tree.
-AJ
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by moss.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #135782 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Harness setup
My rec saddle is a NT Tengu. Right side: a 10' lanyard on the soft "D". (a Gibbs Micro grab attached with a petzl biner for length adjustment & a steel snap lock for the terminal end). Also an extra leather sleeve binered to an accessaey loop. On the back: a selfmade gear bag for a 1 liter water bottle, small crescent wrench & wallet. Right side: a line mug with 2 12oz. Throw bags, 1 14 oz bag, 1 120' hank of zing it, 1 60' hank of Zing It, pocket knife, whistle, harmonica(key of C), cell phone. Also on right side, 2 non locking biners & 1 locking biner. On the front I have a small petzl paw on my delta screw link. I climb DRT with a split tail system, & the paw is the cat's meow.

Ron

More
12 years 5 days ago #135811 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Re:Harness setup
Moss,

To keep the pear screw-link from inverting itself, did you wrap tape around the waistband loops? It kind of looks like that in the pictures.

More
12 years 14 hours ago #135812 by moss
slingshot wrote:

Moss,

To keep the pear screw-link from inverting itself, did you wrap tape around the waistband loops? It kind of looks like that in the pictures.

Correct, did that to tighten the eyes. Also have a "stopper" on one side to keep the eye from moving up on the pear, made from a split piece of slingshot tubing installed on the pear (as we discussed on TCC forum) then tightened and secured with a few wraps of tape. The eye is tightened below the nut on the other side of the pear to achieve the same effect. I can still rotate the pear through the eyes as needed, a tight fit but it works.
-AJ

More
11 years 4 months ago #135957 by mguevara
Replied by mguevara on topic Re:Harness setup
What diameter scew-link is everybody using, 8 or 10 mm? I have the delta at the mo and was looking at getting the pear because everybody says you get more room on it.
How do you find the blue carabiner attached only to you leg strap, it obviously works for you but does it tilt you back a bit when hanging from it moss? It would sure free up your pear screw-link, I find that my delta gets over crouded when changing pitches.
What rope are you using for your lanyard, do you have any preferences?
Sorry for all the questions, still trying to learn all I can.
AT

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #135958 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Harness setup
I just use the delta that came standard with my Tengu, but as I mentioned before, I have a small Petzl paw attached to it. All of my biner connections are to the paw plate. If room is what you want, get yourself one of the small rigging plates. Can't go wrong.

For my lanyard I use a length of climbing rope. Currently it happens to be a 10' hank of New England Hi-Vee. I also do some tree work, so the visibility is of great importance to me.

Ron
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by 2chops. Reason: Forgot a sentence.

More
11 years 4 months ago #135960 by moss
Adams wrote:

What diameter scew-link is everybody using, 8 or 10 mm? I have the delta at the mo and was looking at getting the pear because everybody says you get more room on it.
How do you find the blue carabiner attached only to you leg strap, it obviously works for you but does it tilt you back a bit when hanging from it moss? It would sure free up your pear screw-link, I find that my delta gets over crouded when changing pitches.
What rope are you using for your lanyard, do you have any preferences?
Sorry for all the questions, still trying to learn all I can.
AT

3/8" for the oval screwlink.

I like the slight tilt-back I get when I'm in hang position, I find it comfortale. When I'm actively climbing the rope my body position is more vertical.

I like any 11mm arborist rope for a lanyard. It pretty much comes down to color preference. For example you don't want your lanyard to be the same color as your climbing rope, too confusing. Wesspur.com and treestuff.com sell 11mm arborist rope by the foot. Bandit, Blaze, Fly, Velocity, Tachyon etc. are all good candidates. I find Poison Ivy a bit heavy for a lanyard. If you don't walk long distances to trees with your gear on your back weight is not so much an issue. In that case any of the 1/2" 16-strand arborist ropes is perfect. Make sure you get enough length to tie the knots and still have the length you want, for example if you want a 15' lanyard you'll want a couple feet+ over that to tie a stopper knot in one end and to tie your carabiner on the other end.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds