New Tribe Harness Mod

• Treezybreez
  • Treezybreez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135721 by Treezybreez
New Tribe Harness Mod was created by Treezybreez
Here is a couple of pictures of a New Tribe saddle modification that allows for an adjustable waste size and a floating bridge. The rope is not only tied to each loop of the harness with an anchor hitch but also goes through the D-ring slots on either side of the harness and is tied with a stopper knot. Picasa

Arbormaster is a tough cover dependent rope that is made of polyester and Nylon and has an average breaking strength of 8100Lb. This makes it suitable for the task.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #135723 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:New Tribe Harness Mod
That's pretty cool, how does it ride? I'd want a little bigger diameter ring on the bridge but the overall design looks good. I like that the load on the bridge is shared with the leg strap bridge. Nicely done.
-AJ

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135724 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:New Tribe Harness Mod
Thanks Andrew,

It is more comfortable than before, however you are correct when you suggested a little larger ring. I think it will slide over the bridge better. Also, I think I will try a steel ring since I expect the aluminum one to wear quicker.

What caused me to try this in the first place, was my disabled friend Jon did not quite fit in the saddle with the original screw link. The leg pads did fit him so all I needed was a way to adjust the waist size. After making the changes to the saddle and trying it out I was very pleased.

More
12 years 1 month ago #135733 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:New Tribe Harness Mod
Agreed, that's a pretty cool rig up. I'm trying to figure out how I could do the floating bridge with my Petzl Paw. I'm thinking maybe a stainless screw link in lieu of the ring. Again, good idea.

Ron

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135735 by Treezybreez
Thanks 2chops, If you are going to try a screw link instead of the ring make sure it won't unscrew with the back and forth movement. Just a concern but it might not touch the rope bridge at all.

Please post a picture of your set up if you like it.

Caleb

More
12 years 1 month ago #135736 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:New Tribe Harness Mod
I used to use a stainless screw link as the connection for my micro grab to my saddle. This was for my lanyard rig on my work saddle. When I 1st put it on I snugged it up just a hair with a wrench to be sure. You know what kind of a beating a work lanyard can have to put up with. Anyhow, it was on there for 3 years before I replaced it. Even with a wrench I had a tough time getting it off. I'm pretty confident it would do quite well for the afore mentioned rig. Having said all that though, I would still check it's tightness often during each use. Just in case.

Ron

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135738 by Treezybreez
Sounds good, You can never be too careful when dealing with life support. I even try to keep the gates to my carabiners facing me so I can check them.

More
11 years 7 months ago #135851 by moss
Bumping this back up to the top, this is an excellent NT harness modification!
-AJ

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #135854 by Treezybreez
Thanks AJ,

My friend and coworker still climbs with this modification, except for a slight change. I will post a picture when I have the chance.

By the way, it looks like you have been busy with a little modification yourself. Do you call it a Newpet or a Tribezle? It looks comfortable on the legs. ;)

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #135855 by moss
Treezybreez wrote:

Thanks AJ,

My friend and coworker still climbs with this modification, except for a slight change. I will post a picture when I have the chance.

By the way, it looks like you have been busy with a little modification yourself. Do you call it a Newpet or a Tribezle? It looks comfortable on the legs. ;)

Haha, I've been calling it a "Sequoia-Jacket SRT" but I really like "Petzl Tribezzle SRT" (added a "z" and SRT).

Meanwhile I'm converting my leftover NT Yellowjacket waist belt to your bridge design with some NT Basic leg pads below. Mix and match is working well for me, thanks for the bridge mod inspiration.
-AJ
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by moss.

• phopkinsiii@yahoo.com
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #135867 by phopkinsiii@yahoo.com
Replied by phopkinsiii@yahoo.com on topic Re:New Tribe Harness Mod
Well,
I tried a modified version of this mod and it works great. My system is modified because I'm using an entry level package with a closed system; a figure-of-eight loop on the biner to the saddle link and a Blake's hitch on the down rope. I used a link on the rope bridge; I've ordered 1 5/8" aluminum ring and will replace the link.
Once I get a little more experience, I plan to build a system like yours. I think that the dual attachment points to the saddle will further spread the weight a little.

One question: Do you tie the anchor hitches on the waist d-loops so that the side loops take some of the load, or do they have some slack?
Thanks.

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #135870 by Treezybreez
We don't use the waist loops in the system anymore. I put the rope bridge in between the saddle and the D-rings and there are stopper knots tied behind the side Ds. Furthermore both ends of the rope bridge are tied together in the back, just in case the stopper knots were to come loose.

Also the dual attachment points on the saddle off balance the climber, so I recommend only attaching to the top ring.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Treezybreez.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds