Grigri 2 test

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #135292 by moss
Grigri 2 test was created by moss
Petzl has released the new Grigri 2 in the U.S. The device is dimensionally smaller and weighs less than the original. The Grigri 1 is now discontinued.

There are some great deals on the original Grigri right now, $30. off the previous $90. retail. Soon to be collectors items :-)

UPS dropped the Grigri 2 off at my door yesterday, I had a chance to test it for SRT rappel before the sun went down.

First impressions out of the box

1. I like how much smaller and lighter it is than the Grigri 1
2. The inside cam part appears to be the same size and mass if not slightly larger than the Grigri 1 cam
3. Handle feels short, looks like a close cousin of the Trango Cinch handle

First impressions on rope
I did two 70' rappels on Sterling HTP 10mm static rope.
1. Initial release is smoother as advertised, otherwise same as Grigri 1 through the rest of release cycle
2. In normal belay hand position (right hand by the hip) the rope coming out of the Grigri 2 rolls to the right off the curled metal lip. Only way to prevent is to belay the tail about 10" below the Grigr and pull a little to the left. Don't like this at all, it's not where I want my belay hand.
3. I had to squeeze my hand between the rope and the release handle, this can force the handle to start to release. This could trip some people up, better have your belay hand on rope before you put your hand on the handle. Bad design, the handle should tilt a little more to the left in the "zero" position (before releasing) so it can be grabbed easily without accidentally starting the release.

Conclusion
I am underwhelmed. I hope they solve the problem with the tail of the rope riding off the lip in a later design/release. Surprised at the way I have to force my hand in between the rope and the release handle, ditto for the handle, hoping for a design change down the road. I like the ride and the size/weight reduction so I'll be using it. It will irritate me a little every time I rappel.

Note how tight it is between the handle and the rope as I reach to grab the handle

Very Cinch-like handle

-AJ
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #135293 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Grigri 2 test
Hey Moss, Thanks for the review. I was wondering if you tried repelling with the Grigri2 flipped around so the rope exits on the left of your body? The last picture shows the direction I am talking about, but I wasn't sure if you repelled with it that way.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago #135296 by moss
Replied by moss on topic My major Grigri 2 complaint goes away
Duane (Hook) on the TCC forum pointed out that the Grigri should be oriented perpendicular to the climber. If oriented this way, when the belay hand is at the hip, the tail will pull back and stay in the correct position over the lip.

I went back and took a closer look at the importance of alignment/orientation of the Grigri 2 for optimal rappel use. I studied the drawings and documentation that came with the device (what a novel idea!) and reviewed the informational videos on the Petzl site. What I found verified Hook's comments to be correct.

Normally I use a swivel. But not always. The Grigri 1 is more forgiving and even when out of position (attached with a carabiner directly to the NT saddle screwlink) the rope still stays over the lip pretty well.

I'll test again when I climb tomorrow but I'm very optimistic that my major Grigri 2 complaint will dissolve into thin air as long as it's attached to the harness in a way that allows it to "point" away from the climber.
-AJ

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #135300 by moss
I tested the Grigri 2 again this time with a swivel connection, it still doesn't behave that well, ie: the tail of the rope tends to roll off the lip, out of the optimal (for me anyway) rappel position for the rope exiting the device.

It's very smooth on rappel, much better than the Trango Cinch for example. The handle position and size is not very ergonomic but it all works if a smaller device size/weight and smooth rappel on skinny ropes is important to you.

Unfortunate though that the original Grigri is no discontinued, might have to start a letter writing campaign to Petzl :-)

I'd like to see them revise the Grigri 1 to provide the progressive braking control that the 2 has but keep the overall size and shape the same as the original.
-AJ

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago #135301 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Grigri 2 test
Treezybreez wrote:

Hey Moss, Thanks for the review. I was wondering if you tried repelling with the Grigri2 flipped around so the rope exits on the left of your body? The last picture shows the direction I am talking about, but I wasn't sure if you repelled with it that way.

I use it the way it was designed, release handle left, belay hand on the right. I think Petzl designed it to be consistent with all the other devices out there, F8's etc. I'm a lefty but in a right hand world everything's designed so the strongest hand/arm (the right) is used, in this case for the belay.

You could flip it around but I don't think it will solve the rope riding off the lip problem.
-AJ

More
13 years 1 month ago #135302 by Treezybreez
I agree, you should use your Grigi2 the way it was designed to be used.

F8's are ambidextrous you can use them left or right depending on how you thread the rope. Because I usually have a chainsaw hanging off my right side I usually try to have my climbing line exit on my left. Even though I am right handed I prefer it that way especially on long descents.

I can understand why you are particular about the position of your belay hand. I am picky too. ;)

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #135303 by moss

Treezybreez wrote:F8's are ambidextrous you can use them left or right depending on how you thread the rope

Definitely. When you look at all the diagrams in books and technical documentation they always show the right hand for belay, nothing wrong with flipping it to make it work better for you whether it's an F8 or any other rappel device.
-AJ

More
13 years 1 month ago #135304 by Treezybreez
By the way Moss, Have you ever tried the Petzl Rig? I have been thinking about buying one to use with the SRT. Any thoughts as to the ability to limb walk with it?

I do like the size of your Grigri2. I bet you hardly notice it when it is clipped to your saddle while not in use.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago #135305 by moss
Treezybreez wrote:

By the way Moss, Have you ever tried the Petzl Rig? I have been thinking about buying one to use with the SRT. Any thoughts as to the ability to limb walk with it?

I do like the size of your Grigri2. I bet you hardly notice it when it is clipped to your saddle while not in use.

You mean limbwalk SRT with the RIG? I suppose you could. I have a good friend who climbs on the RIG, ascent with RADS, rappel on the RIG but when he limbwalks he switches to DRT and a hitch.

The RIG is a pretty large piece of gear, bigger than a Grigri 1, much bigger than the new Grigri.

I store my Grigri 1 in a pouch on my harness so it's out of the way, Grigri 2 is a little smaller which is nice but it's not dramatically smaller then the original.
-AJ

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #135307 by Treezybreez
OK, Maybe the Petzl Rig wouldn't work well for limb walking if it is bulky.

My current SRT technique is as follows: I tie a Blake's hitch with a considerable bridge to the side of the rope that I wish to climb. The Blake's is attached to my saddle bridge. Then I attach a hand assender below the Blake's with foot loop attached. My right foot goe's in the foot loop. On my left foot I have a foot assender. After climbing high enough I switch over to Ddrt. I am able to assend SRT very quickly with this system (equal I think to the Frog). The only draw back is the time it takes to switch over to Ddrt. One idea I have for making the system even more efficient at switching over would be to attach a small lanyard adjuster to the bridge of the Blak's hitch. Then I won't have to retie the blake's.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Treezybreez. Reason: clarification

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 days ago #135384 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Grigri 2 test
Good review Moss.

I will stick with my used Grigri 1. Maybe I should think about ordering another one while you can still get them new or used. I have read several reviews of the Grigri 2, all are disappointing.

On canopy chatter you posted some photos and reviews of a modification you did to your new Girgri 2. I was very surprised by this. The idea of spending good money on a Petzl product only to be disappointed is discouraging. Also the fact that you drilled, filed and tapped your new Grigri 2 out of need for better performance speaks to a bad original design.

Just because Petzl managed to make the new Grigri lighter and smaller doesn't mean you can look past all the problems and deficiencies. Shame on Petzl!

Thanks for sharing Moss!

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 5 days ago #135385 by moss
greenluck wrote:

Just because Petzl managed to make the new Grigri lighter and smaller doesn't mean you can look past all the problems and deficiencies. Shame on Petzl!

I think their fallback/compromise to allow the design of a smaller and lighter Grigri is to recommend use of the Petzl Freino carabiner with the GG2 for rappel. It's a good functional solution but I didn't want to have to use a special carabiner with my descender so I did the modification.
-AJ

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #135467 by greenluck

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 9 months ago #135468 by moss
Since I modified mine and put a ton of work into it they'll have to pry it out of my fingers! The problem occurs when a user over pulls the handle with excessive force, it sticks in the wide open position. So far size handle failures reported.
-AJ

More
11 years 1 month ago #136026 by jtoa904
Replied by jtoa904 on topic grigri 2
i do line clearence for our power company in Florida,and i've been trying to learn as much as i can about new equipment to make jobs easier and safer...alot of climbers keep it basic ( which is the way i've climbed for 2 years now)but i have alot of interest in new tools and techniques...i know the petzl grigri is for rock climbing but how would,or whats the best way,i utilize it in my line of work.what could it help out with????

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds