Rope and gear storage bag

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #135142 by greenluck
Rope and gear storage bag was created by greenluck
I'm looking for a rope/gear storage bag that can hold 200' of 11.5 mm rope, saddle, helmet, and lanyard. The bag has to have a backpack type carrying system to carry everything deep into the woods. I would like this bag to remain stuffed and ready for times when you need to grab and go....

Looking at this.....

sherrill basic rope bag

I really like the backpack system you can add to this gear bag. I also like the basic over the master because the basic does not have a cheap zipper to fail on the top. The drawstring top seems fairly bullet-proof. Exterior pockets and gear loops are not a big factor for me since I will probably sew on gear loops as need.

Any other options out there? Suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #135143 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Rope and gear storage bag
Why not just get a backpack? If you don't want to pay $100 or more for a new one, check out the classifieds in the local paper or yard sales for a used one. I used to have a nice Kelty external frame backpaack, but it mysteriously dissapeared a few years ago. I'm on the prowl for another similar one. In the mean time, I use my day pack for bush whacking gigs. It holds 120' of 1/2" rope, helmet, 2 leather sleaves, a couple of water bottles and snacks. I lug my saddle in by wearing it bandalero style over my neck and chest. Works for now.

More
13 years 2 months ago #135144 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Rope and gear storage bag
I agree on going with a real backpack if you can, the Sherrill bag gets uncomfortable if you have to hike very far.

Investment in a decent backpack is well worth it, mine is going strong after 5 years, been everywhere I needed to go to get to a tree, it's always waiting with gear inside ready to.
-AJ

More
13 years 2 months ago #135145 by moss
The add-on Sherrill backpack system looks decent, it's missing a key component for long hauls though: a padded hip belt to transfer weight more evenly over you upper body. A hip belt also holds the pack snug to your back when you're making moves through difficult terrain and want maximum balance.
-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevo

More
13 years 2 months ago #135146 by GaDawg
Replied by GaDawg on topic Re:Rope and gear storage bag
I have and use the LARGE RopeBossâ„¢ Deluxe Rope Bag. The bag is great quality and I love that it stands up on it's own wide open either empty or full of gear. The zipper is large and of a good quality and I have no concerns about it failing. The various pockets come in handy to store anything from a water bottle, camera, grigri, pulleys and a folding saw. I use the various outside loops for biners.

In the bag I keep 200' of rope, a New Tribe saddle, helmet, leather sleeve, gloves, a small kids saddle and a couple of 30' lengths of rope with a tiny bit of room to spare. I also have the backpack attachment, but it's not very comfortable. The bag seems to hang far off of my back, making me unbalanced. Of course, with the above mentioned in it, its really heavy too.

If I were to trek into the woods with all that gear, I would definelty want to use a true internal frame backback and not this bag. Of course a few things would have to out to lighten the load as well.

I still love the size and quality of the bag and the fact that it stands up on it's own with a wide open top is great, but it's not a backpack for a long haul.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #135147 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Rope and gear storage bag
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Some very good points have been made including the shortfalls of the suspension system on the Sherrill rope bag. It seems that this bag would be good for short hauls but not the best for a long hike. I do like the way this bag sits open even when empty.

I have taken the advice of Moss and 2chops and have begun researching backpacks. There seems to be lots of options in the same price range as the Sherrill bag outfitted with the backpack straps. Many used name brand bags are listed on ebay along with several interesting new models also. I really like the one below....

backpack on ebay

Any recommendations for brand, model, size or type of backpack. I have been looking in the 60L-80L range with internal and external frames. What sizes are you guys using? What equipment are you able to fit in it? What feature(s) can you not live without?

More
13 years 2 months ago #135149 by moss
greenluck wrote:

Any recommendations for brand, model, size or type of backpack. I have been looking in the 60L-80L range with internal and external frames. What sizes are you guys using? What equipment are you able to fit in it? What feature(s) can you not live without?

I have a Dana Designs Access Mazama bought on sale in 2005, Dana Designs was bought out by Marmot. Obviously discontinued.

I'll describe it anyway has good features:

The pack is 57L top loading. For a big conifer climb this what I carry in the pack:
10 ft. slingshot pole collapsed to three sections
Sidewinder slingshot head
200 ft. Sterling HTP 10mm static (in a stuff sack)
60 ft. Bandit 11mm "short rope"
15 ft. 11mm adjustable lanyard
240 ft. ZingIt throwline in folding cube
Climbing helmet
2 conduit rope sleeves
Silky Gomtara 240, 9.5" handsaw
240' backup thowline
Total of 6 throwbags various sizes
Small ripstop tarp
Small camo piece to cover gear
Various slings
Various lengths/sizes of utility/accessory cord
Roll of vinyl electrical tape
Small binoculars
Foot slingshot
First aid kit
Small pair binoculars

I wear my harness hiking to a tree, all my hitch cords, carabiners, ascender, descender, in-tree throwkit etc. are on my harness.

I have stuffed my harness in the top of my pack, works but it was overloaded.

Features I like about the pack:
Multi adjustable shoulder and waist straps
Fairly light for an internal frame pack: 3.75 lb.
Clean profile, nothing gets hung up bushwhacking
Vertical zippered sidepockets the height of the pack
Waterproof
Woods color
Mesh compartment on the lower back, easy access, nothing falls out
Plenty of attachment points for additional gear like tripods showshoes, treeboat etc.
-AJ

More
13 years 2 months ago #135150 by moss
This is a good guide on what to consider when you're looking at backpacks:
Backpack guide
-AJ

More
13 years 2 months ago #135151 by moss
I like the spec on this
Kelty pack you can top or front load it which is nice.

And another version
Kelty Coyote reviewed very well.
-AJ

More
13 years 2 months ago #135156 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Rope and gear storage bag
As far as comfort is concerned you can't beat going to an outdoor store and trying all sorts of packs on. Take a rope with you so you can fill them up with weight. I bought a Berghaus pack a few years ago for hiking based on its features and online reviews but found it was uncomfortable for me. I took it back and tryed a few others on and found a cheaper one by Zero Degrees, which was much more comfortable for me personally.

External pockets save having to keep taking off and opening your pack to get snacks or other bits out while walking. A loop to hold a walking pole is also good (unless you use Big Shot poles for walking sticks).

Michael

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #135223 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Rope and gear storage bag
I decided to go with a cheap 88L (6200 cu. in) internal-frame backpack along with a metolius rope master bag to hold my 200' tachyon rope.

The Backpack holds everything I need including:

Harness
200' rope
50' rope
2 rope sleeves
helmet
throw bag kit
gloves
rope bag
Big Shot poles and head
and all the extras needed to climb comfortably

All of the items above (not including big shot and poles) along with the backpack weigh 40 pounds.

There is still room in the back pack for extra clothes, food, water and anything else you might need.

The Metolius Rope Master bag is just great. I've had it only for a few days and can't live without it. The best part is that it transforms into a rope tarp then back into a bag again. The biag is maxed out with 200' of Tachyon with no room to spare. I purchased the rope bag used on ebay for a real deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by greenluck.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds