Best saddle for limb walking

• Chrisb493
  • Chrisb493's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
13 years 2 months ago #135093 by Chrisb493
Best saddle for limb walking was created by Chrisb493
I just bought a NT tengu which is quality made and comfortable, but was wondering how it compares to floating bridge saddles for limbwalking. The tengu has more side to side motion than most non-bridge saddles and feels ok but a little awkward for limbwalking, and I was hoping to find how it compared to the glide lite, buckingham traverse, and especially the Weaver Cougar (or any other floating bridge saddle under $350) . Is it worth returning my tengu for one of these floating bridge saddles assuming I will be doing a lot of limbwalking?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #135094 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Best saddle for limb walking
The NT Nikosi addresses the issue, provides a floating anchor bridge with the comfortable New Tribe leg pads. Any of the "traditional" arborist floating anchor bridge harness are going to perform better for a work climber who does a lot of limbwalking, what's sacrificed is legstrap comfort.
-AJ

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #135101 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Best saddle for limb walking
The Nikosi offers the floating bridge moss mentioned but has very large leg pads like your Tengu. I feel these features are some what conflicting. You are constantly reminded of the the large leg pads while attempting limb walks.

I would say the saddle you choose depends on how much hang time you are planning on doing and how much mobility and limb walking you want to do. It is a trade off.

The Cougar may be a good choice if you are looking for mobility and a floating bridge. The leg pads are smaller but still offer good memory foam padding. This saddle has fallen some what out of favor due to a recent recall. This recall would not effect any new saddles. This all means a good price for the customer and or sales! Good saddle for a good price in my book.

The Petzl Sequoia may be pricey but has may fans. Max mobility but not the best choice for extended hangs. This goes for the Treemotion also, great mobility, not so good for hanging and even more expensive than the Petzl.

If you are planing some hang time to go along with your limb walks look for a butt strap or well padded leg straps.

Also look up reviews on Canopy Chatter, Gypoclimber, Tree Buzz and Arbtalk forums online. Lots of existing reviews out there to read. This site is one of many....

• Chrisb493
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
13 years 2 months ago #135107 by Chrisb493
Replied by Chrisb493 on topic Re:Best saddle for limb walking
Thanks for the feedback AJ, I appreciate it. The Nikosi doesn't seem like a bad saddle but I haven't seen all rave reviews about it. You make a good point with sacrificing legstrap comfort, though. The cougar is the only relatively cheap floating bridge with legstraps that don't dig into your inner thigh -from what I've read so far. Seems like this will be my best option.

• Chrisb493
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #135108 by Chrisb493
Replied by Chrisb493 on topic Re:Best saddle for limb walking
Thanks for the thorough response. I'm glad to hear about those other sites to check out reviews. Seems like the coug might be my best bet...
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Chrisb493.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds