Guardian Fall Protection Lanyard Questions

• compy286
  • compy286's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
13 years 11 months ago #134558 by compy286
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationI'm sort of new to climbing (working on borrowed equipment and my buddy needs it back)

I saw this on ebay and it's in my area but I've never heard of the brand or seen anyone use it.. It seems to be in like new condition for the most part.

Anyways.. The seller says he would take about $80 bucks for it.. Is this a good deal? Does this brand of equipment hold up very well?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #134559 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Guardian Fall Protection Lanyard Questions
Hi!

The harness doesn't look well suited to tree climbing. You need an arborist saddle such as those sold by New Tribe, which are much better padded and supportive. As for the lanyard: the general rule for anything you trust your life on is NEVER BUY SECOND-HAND. You don't know for sure what loads or deterioration from age, UV or chemicals the material has undergone before it reached you. I wouldn't take a stranger's word for it when my life depends on it!

Fall protection lanyards are used in industry and mountaineering but in tree climbing you are generally below your attachment to the tree so you shouldn't take a fall onto your lanyard. It's there to hold you in position rather than to take a fall onto.

The GEAR section of this website may be useful...

Hope this helps,

Michael

More
13 years 11 months ago #134561 by Davej
No, you don't want a fall-protection harness. An ordinary rock climbing harness would be much better than that. If you want to be cheap then get a sturdy rock climbing harness and then add some extra padding to the back of the leg straps.

More
13 years 11 months ago #134562 by Baker
IMHO, a Rock climbing harness would NOT be better than a fall pro harness. Both are equally poor choices in place of a tree saddle. Also, Ebay is a dangerous place to purchase any safety gear like life support saddles, rope, biners, etc. Save your pennies and buy a NT saddle when you can. They're the BEST!

More
13 years 11 months ago #134563 by Davej
The New Tribe saddles are certainly going to offer much more comfort due to the much wider leg supports, and you need to be concerned about restricting circulation to your legs. A fall protection harness has the attach ring located between your shoulder blades -- which is inaccessible and useless for climbing.

Rock climbing harness

New Tribe Tree harness

Suspension safety concern

More
13 years 11 months ago #134564 by moss
Totally agree with all previous comments. The concept of "fall protection" doesn't work for or apply to technical tree climbing. Before acquiring gear for tree climbing get up to speed on basic technical tree climbing concepts. Peter Jenkin's "Tree Climbing Basics" video is an excellent intro and foundation, Jepson's "Tree Climber's Companion" is oriented towards work climbing technique and gear but is the other basic manual for aspiring recreational tree climbers.

After you familiarize yourself with the foundation materials get online and ask questions, there is a great support network of experienced climbers available to help you out.
-moss

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #134575 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Guardian Fall Protection Lanyard Questions
Consider looking at Sherill tree, Wesspur, Bailey's, and Blue ridge supply. They are all great places to buy new equipment.

I have bought climbing supplies and other climbing related stuff off Ebay before with no problems. Just do you research, understand what you're buying. Ebay does have some good deals on Petzl carb. with free shipping that Wesspur can't even touch.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds