Leather vs. Conduit

More
13 years 10 months ago #134547 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
if you use an overhand, you will not be able to release the knot, preventing the rope from sliding through the conduit. Pull it up w/ a slip knot then pull the knot out when the conduit is in the position you desire on the branch.

As I always suggest, get Peter Jenkins' video - tree Climbing Basics - It's ALL in there.
http://www.treeclimbing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=18&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 10 months ago #134548 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
Baker wrote:

if you use an overhand, you will not be able to release the knot

I think it could be argued that an overhand knot is a slip knot (TCC page 30), but OK, I like the more descriptive term "slip knot."

More
13 years 10 months ago #134549 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
Davej wrote:

Baker wrote:

if you use an overhand, you will not be able to release the knot

I think it could be argued that an overhand knot is a slip knot (TCC page 30), but OK, I like the more descriptive term "slip knot."

You and Baker should have a tree climbing discussion show on one of the cable news networks!

In the slip knot's construction a bight is slipped through an overhand knot but... all knots have elements/components of other knots in them. To avoid confusion "slip knot" is a good name. An "overhand on a bight" looks superficially like a slip knot, that's the most common error I've seen with new climbers installing sleeves.

When you tie the slip knot make sure that the unlocking part of the slip knot bight is the same as the tail of the climbing rope below the knot (or the knot will not release). Easy to check before you send the sleeve up.

Slip knot is such a versatile knot in tree climbing, I constantly use it as a third hand while I'm climbing.
-moss

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 10 months ago #134567 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
Leather works great for me.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds