• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago #134461 by Davej
Leather vs. Conduit was created by Davej
Baker wrote:

I like the leather sleeves too. If for no other reason but the weight, or lack thereof. Nice to carry in a backpack or hanging on my saddle.

Actually, I started with conduit and later when I tried a leather sleeve I was unhappy about the increase in friction. Maybe I need to dose the leather with talcum power or something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134462 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
After receiving our gear here at work, I'm excited to try the House sleeves. They are much more flexible than the conduit sleeves I've been using, but they just don't appear to be as durable. Time will tell. The friction factor with talced leather isn't that bad, but they are just SO much lighter than the other options.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago #134463 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
Well, I admit the leather sleeves look indestructible, but I want to try all of the options, and I think you'll like the conduit.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134472 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
Baker wrote:

After receiving our gear here at work, I'm excited to try the House sleeves. They are much more flexible than the conduit sleeves I've been using, but they just don't appear to be as durable. Time will tell. The friction factor with talced leather isn't that bad, but they are just SO much lighter than the other options.

Baker, as I've mentioned in the past, Erie Buoy (where are you Erie Buoy?) posted a link a while back to a more durable ultra-flexible 3/4" conduit. It lasts longer than the spec that NT uses. I've gently tried to convince them to move to the new spec. I just bought another 25 feet of it to build some more sleeves for the spring facilitating season. When your sleeves start to wear out save the end caps (ground cones) and get this conduit by the foot, it is excellent:
Ultra flexible black conduit

It looks very similar to the conduit used for the NT sleeves but the vinyl covering is slightly thicker. The gray conduit sleeves are bomb-proof, last forever but are obviously heavier and less flexible.

Disclaimer: I beat the crap out of my sleeves and twist and install them in previously unimaginable positions. If you're simply hanging an NT black sleeve over a branch in a normal position it will last a long time. If you place them in tight fitting settings with compound curves etc. you can wipe them out in one climb.
-moss

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #134473 by Davej
moss wrote:

When your sleeves start to wear out save the end caps (ground cones) and get this conduit by the foot, it is excellent: Ultra flexible black conduit

It looks very similar to the conduit used for the NT sleeves but the vinyl covering is slightly thicker.

You're right, it does look slightly different from the NT sleeves. I hadn't even noticed!
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Davej.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134475 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Have sleeve will climb
Rope Sleeves R' US

Looking around the shelves of my workshop I can find all kinds of conduit that have been tried for my rope sleeves. Some good and some odd.

The most bomb proof are the ones with the original heavy gray jacket.

Next came the conduit with a black vinyl jacket vacuum applied. Most of those have an inferior metal coil that with a thin black jacket that is damaged too easily.

After a long search and testing of samples I have found a tuff metal coil with a decent black jacket that carry a two year warranty.

Since then I have custom made all lengths in both sizes; long ones for monster rainforest limbs; tiny ones for jazzy lanyards and middle sizes that are just right.

Custom orders can be quoted for made to order sleeves; cut lengths of conduit and/or twist-in end ferrules.

If asked I can provide opinions pro/con of all sleeves- leather; metal; beer carton cardboard?; webbing etc. but at our school in Kansas City we all use the Black Jack sleeves available online via the nice folks at NewTribe.

PS if you ever hang a permanent rope for a swing etc consider using a sleeve. I suggest that the rope/sleeve is wrapped around the limb for 360 degrees and secured with a bowline. As the swing moves the wrapped rope stay put on the limb and therefor zero ware on the cambium.

Dan House

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #134484 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Have sleeve will climb
TreeTramp wrote:

Rope Sleeves R' US

Custom orders can be quoted for made to order sleeves; cut lengths of conduit and/or twist-in end ferrules.

Dan House

I agree with Dan. I have used home-made ones and the ones he makes and seen many other varieties and I am still using the smaller diameter black color made by Dan and sold thru New Tribe and others.
For my style of climbing they last long enough to get my money's worth of use. They are light weight to carry and easy to install in the trees. Like any piece of gear I inspect them every time and never drop them from the trees. :blush:

I am a "Happy Customer" What else can I say! :laugh:

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 4 weeks ago - 14 years 4 weeks ago #134488 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Have sleeve will climb

oldtimer wrote:I am still using the smaller diameter black color made by Dan and sold thru New Tribe and others. For my style of climbing they last long enough to get my money's worth of use. They are light weight to carry and easy to install in the trees.

Oh, so you do use the 1/2" version?
Last edit: 14 years 4 weeks ago by Davej.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #134494 by oldtimer
NO, mostly use the smaller diameter 1/2 inch black color from Treetramp. I own several of the large diameter stiff-ones (gray color) that I made but do not use them that much but I still have them with some of my extra gear.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #134495 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Have sleeve will climb
oldtimer wrote:

NO, mostly use the smaller diameter 1/2 inch black color from Treetramp. I own several of the large diameter stiff-ones (gray color) that I made...

Moss had recently commented that he prefers the 3/4" version. Why are the stiff grey ones considered "bomb proof?" Don't they self- destruct as soon as they are used on a branch that is smaller than their bend radius?

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #134496 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Have sleeve will climb
Davej wrote:

Moss had recently commented that he prefers the 3/4" version. Why are the stiff grey ones considered "bomb proof?" Don't they self- destruct as soon as they are used on a branch that is smaller than their bend radius?

In cold weather an 11mm rope pulls the 1/2" ID version off the branch. If you get sap on an 11mm in the 1/2" version it will pull the pipe off the branch. The 1/2" ID black pipes don't hold up as well as the 3/4" ID black pipe.

You can destroy anything if you try hard enough. You won't be able to easily install a gray pipe on a branch that's smaller than it's minimum bend radius, it will jump off the branch.
-moss

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #134498 by oldtimer
Quote" Why are the stiff grey ones considered "bomb proof?"

Well in 6 plus years of climbing I have only damaged one of the gray color ones and that was because I dropped from the tree too many times. Eventually developed some funny looking kink in the middle portion and I had another ten new ones in the garage so I destroyed that one but they never "self destroy". The climber destroys them by improperly using them.

The black smaller diameter ones eventaully develop small damage to the outside black cover and I just retire them after a few years. Moss use them more because he climbs a lot more than I do and his last shorter times but if you inspect them regularly you see when they need to be replaced.

:blush:

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #134499 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Have sleeve will climb
moss wrote:

You can destroy anything if you try hard enough.
-moss

How true is THAT statement?! :lol:

More
13 years 11 months ago #134545 by txpop
Replied by txpop on topic Re:Leather vs. Conduit
What is the best way to install a conduit into a tree to be used. I love this post cause I was an electrician, and I have this stuff just laying around!! But I am new to tree climbing and not sure the best way to get it up on the branch.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 11 months ago #134546 by Davej
txpop wrote:

I am new to tree climbing and not sure the best way to get it up on the branch.

You pull it up on the rope using an overhand knot. You should get a copy of "The Tree Climbers Companion" by Jepson. It is available on this website or just about anywhere they sell tree gear.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds