Shakespeare Silent Tru-arT DeLuxe Auto Fly Reel

• peter
  • peter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago #134434 by peter
I've just received one of these having won it on ebay.
They are mentioned in The Wild Trees as a preferred mechanical method of retrieving your grapnel hook.
My question is - what is the best way of attaching them to your saddle.
Also I made a grapnel along the lines of the Newtribe one.
I made it out of stainless steel. The tines are similar (I've only seen photos) but instead of 4 shafts I only have one which is flattened with a hole drilled in it (and beveled)for the line. The shaft is shorter & I believe (without having tried the New Tribe one) that this should give it the advantage of flipping around the rope more readily & because it doesn't have the ring for attaching the line I believe it would be less likely to deflect off the rope.
I have also welded a nut on the bottom & have drilled a hole down the center of a bolt which is then screwed into the nut. This adds a little bit of weight & for the longer throws a throw bag with a short bit of line can be attached through the hole in the bolt. I have a 95% (100 throws) success rate with 5 meter throws on my verandah. I'll take some pics & try to upload them here but no promises.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134435 by oldtimer
Hello Peter
Let me take a couple of photos of two new grapnel ideas developed in Canada (by Dietley) for trowline retrievers. A few lucky of us have received one so it is not widely avalibale but the ones that have used regularly claim to have great successes and are happy users.

Looking forward to see your photos soon. The name alone is intriguing
Shakespeare Silent Tru-arT DeLuxe Auto Fly Reel.........
I think Nick in California uses this line holder idea. Hope he chimes in with his experiences using it.

• peter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago #134441 by peter
I can't seem to get my pics to upload. I think they're too big but can't figure out how to make them smaller

More
14 years 1 week ago #134512 by pgwisn
Picture resizing is easily accomplished by using a free program 'irfanview'

Available here:

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Open the picture to be resized by dropping it on the irfanview icon; go to 'Image', 'Resize' (or just hit Ctrl+R)
and you can resize it by hitting the 'Half' button until it is a small enough size. The Save it and upload the smaller version.

More
14 years 1 week ago #134513 by pgwisn
Picture resizing is easily accomplished by using a free program 'irfanview'

Available here:

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Open the picture to be resized by dropping it on the irfanview icon; go to 'Image', 'Resize' (or just hit Ctrl+R)
and you can resize it by hitting the 'Half' button until it is a small enough size. The Save it and upload the smaller version.

More
14 years 5 days ago #134521 by canopyboy
I use a shakespeare auto reel, and had some trouble figuring out how to clip it to my saddle. I eventually gave up on a quick way to clip it on other than hanging it. Now I lash it directly to the saddle. I use a New Tribe VI Special, it has a loop in the webbing belt for a caritool or the like on each side. On one side, I attach the reel. I should draw or take a picture, but words will have to suffice for now as I'm at work taking a late lunch:

A loop of accessory cord goes through the saddle belt loop and wraps the lower tine of the reel mount. Then it comes out the top of the belt loop and wraps the top mount. Tie securely, I can't remember what knot I used, I'd have to go look. Works great. Not super convenient to untie and remove often, but not to bad for occasional removal. Holds securely in just the right spot.

• peter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 4 days ago #134522 by peter
Thanks Canopyboy,
I'll give that a go - or something similar - depends on my loops etc

More
14 years 4 days ago #134523 by canopyboy
Here's a picture, tough to get a decent angle but it can be seen I think.

Another thing I recently did with my reel was steal the concept of backing from fly fishing as well. I could put about 60' of 1.75 on it, but once in a great while I wished I had just a bit more. Usually when passing to someone on the ground or in another tree. So I put some 50# braided spectra fishing line on the reel first, (about 100'). Takes up very little room and still allows about 55' of my normal throw line.
Attachments:

• peter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 4 days ago #134524 by peter
Yep - I can see what you've done - looks good & that extra line idea sounds good too - thanks again

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds