Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!

• michaeljspraggon
  • michaeljspraggon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 5 months ago #134151 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!
Thanks Moss. The good news is that they sell them in this country too.

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #134169 by truesilence
Replied by truesilence on topic Re:Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!
Decided to make Moss' trigger design for my Bigshot. It really works well. From Home Depot I got a PVC sink trap(1 1/2) extension and attached a Kong paddle carabiner using zip ties. Thanks Moss for sharing your design.
Attachments:

More
14 years 5 months ago #134170 by moss
Nicely done, I like the way you secured the biner to the sleeve.
-moss

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #134864 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!
You can find a trigger at Tractor Supply, It's called a horse snap / panic snap (I think). It will release under tension. It costs $5-9 and can be found near their rope and chain selection.

I've been using it for about a month now and it works great. My Big Shot uses a 2:1 mechanical advantage to help you pull back the sling. It also captures the progress of the pull back with a small friction knot (VT). This allows you to fire at will without having to worry about keeping tension and aiming at the same time. I got the idea for this set up from this super cool site.... Big shot 2:1 MA

You can also purchase a small stainless steel "snap shackle" from ebay. The snap shackle is from the boating industry and also works great as a trigger for the big shot. You can buy them for $5-15 each with shipping depending on the size.

Save your money. $80-90 dollars for a trigger is insane. $5-15 is more like it........
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by greenluck.

More
13 years 7 months ago #134866 by moss
greenluck wrote:

Save your money. $80-90 dollars for a trigger is insane. $5-15 is more like it........

I got my Wichard snap release for $50 a few years back but the reason I recommend it is that it is stainless steel, rated to 3000 lb. and works flawlessly. I stretch my slings 10 ft. for my max height shots, I want every component in my system totally reliable.

I also use it as part of a release system for ziplining so for me it's a very useful tool and well worth the investment. More power to you if you can get by on the cheap. I've tried various dog snaps etc. and they've ended up staying at home.
-moss

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #134867 by moss
At minute 1:26 of this video you can see my current slingshot system in use, moves fast but if you hit the pause button you can check out the components. Thanks to Treeman for the excellent camera work while I was firing.

-moss
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by moss.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #134869 by greenluck
I can't say that the horse snap / panic snap is stainless steel or rated to 3000 lbs. I think it's a zinc plated steel and rated to 700lbs maybe.

Most snap shackles from ebay are stainless and the load rating varies by the size.

panic snap

snap shackle

For the photo example of the Big Shot 2:1 MA scroll down about half way after opening the link. I set mine up with a little pulley and used a VT hitch instead.
Big Shot 2:1 MA example
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by greenluck.

More
13 years 7 months ago #134870 by moss
greenluck wrote:

I can't say that the horse snap / panic snap is stainless steel or rated to 3000 lbs. I think it's a zinc plated steel and rated to 700lbs maybe.

Doesn't need to be 3000 lbs., just an indicator of how well it's built.

Pullback system looks good, I built a similar setup originally for my singshot. For the sleeve and Klemheist pulldown it's easy enough to push it down to stretch the sling, MA not needed.
-moss

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #134895 by greenluck
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by greenluck.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #135078 by greenluck
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by greenluck.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds