Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!

• michaeljspraggon
  • michaeljspraggon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 7 months ago #134035 by michaeljspraggon
Replacement Big Shot sling is too short! was created by michaeljspraggon
I recently bought a replacement Big Shot sling from a UK supplier, only to find that it is much shorter than my original sling. Also the pouch is too shallow to hold the bags properly. I worked out that I can now only fire a given weight of bag 65% of the height that I could before.

I asked the supplier why this was and was told that Sherrill had shortened the rubber slings and changed the pouch design a couple of years ago and that I wouldn't be able to find any to the original specifications.

Has anybody alse found the same thing or do you know where I can get hold of Big Shot slings to the original specs?

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #134036 by moss
Do you still have the old pouch?

Measure the inside diameter and outside diameter of the latex tubing and then go find it online. You'll find several suppliers that sell it by the foot, if not let me know and I'll dig up a couple places I've been buying the stuff from.

When you get your tubing you can attach the old pouch to it. I figured out any easy way to do the tubing to pouch attachment, let me know when you get to that point.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by moss.

• michaeljspraggon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 7 months ago #134038 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!
Thanks Moss.

I had also thought about buying tubing online but couldn't work out how the pouch could be attached or be sure that I was getting the correct grade of rubber.

Michael

More
14 years 7 months ago #134039 by moss
michaeljspraggon wrote:

I had also thought about buying tubing online but couldn't work out how the pouch could be attached or be sure that I was getting the correct grade of rubber.

Michael

Just as long as the outside diameter, inside diameter and/or wall thickness match you're good to go. It should be 100% latex tubing. At that size it comes in black or amber, some say one's better than the other, I haven't noticed any difference, I use either color. I'll put together a couple diagrams showing how I attach the pouch.
-moss

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #134040 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!
moss wrote:I'll put together a couple diagrams showing how I attach the pouch.

Can't wait to see it!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by nickfromwi.

More
14 years 5 months ago #134125 by moss
Here's one method I've used for attaching a pouch to slingshot tubing, needle nose pliers and liberal use of rubbing alcohol are required to pull the tubing through the hole:

I shot video of a second technique that I'm currently using, working on the edit.
-moss

• michaeljspraggon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 5 months ago #134129 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!
I guess the hole would have to be perfectly round and smooth to prevent tearing.

I thought of making either the outside diameter larger of the sling longer to give extra range. The head and poles seem over engineered and should be able to cope with a little more loading.

Michael

More
14 years 5 months ago #134131 by moss
michaeljspraggon wrote:

I guess the hole would have to be perfectly round and smooth to prevent tearing.

I thought of making either the outside diameter larger of the sling longer to give extra range. The head and poles seem over engineered and should be able to cope with a little more loading.

Michael

The hole doesn't have to be perfect. I'm making it as a single vertical cut now, works very well.

To get more height keep the tubing spec the same, increase the length of the pole. Latex tubing is rated average breaking point 600% stretch to the length of the tubing so you hav eroom to gain more power. Build a pull and hold trigger ystem so you can pull the sling as long as you need to and aim carefully.
-moss

• michaeljspraggon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 5 months ago #134134 by michaeljspraggon
I think I saw something resembling a pull and hold system in one of your earlier videos. How is yours set up?

Michael

More
14 years 5 months ago #134137 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Replacement Big Shot sling is too short!
About the pouch. Some folks hate the newly designed open pouch from Sherrill. Moss- can the Sidewinder canvas pouch be used as a replacement? Never seen a tougher pouch than a Sidewinder pouch. Has anyone noticed a higher incident of kickback from the more closed pouch design?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
14 years 5 months ago #134138 by moss
treeman wrote:

About the pouch. Some folks hate the newly designed open pouch from Sherrill. Moss- can the Sidewinder canvas pouch be used as a replacement? Never seen a tougher pouch than a Sidewinder pouch. Has anyone noticed a higher incident of kickback from the more closed pouch design?

I've never had the Sidewinder pouch cause kickback. I've had kickback for other reasons but the pouch was never to blame.

I can't see why the Sidewinder pouch wouldn't work well as a replacement Big Shot pouch.
-moss

More
14 years 5 months ago #134140 by moss
michaeljspraggon wrote:

I think I saw something resembling a pull and hold system in one of your earlier videos. How is yours set up?

Michael

Here's an early version of it. Currently I use a rated Kong mini-biner to replace the heavy boat snap. The Klemheist is set up a little tighter so the pull down won't slide down by itself when it's pushed up higher on the pole. I found the nylon sleeve in a hardware store, it fits the Sidewinder or Big Shot pole, same diameter pole. The green tape is just holding the snap up, it doesn't hold any load.

Photo set

-moss

• michaeljspraggon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 5 months ago #134145 by michaeljspraggon
...just tried it - the Klemheist grips the pole surprisingly well.

How do you hold and release the shot pouch though?

Michael

More
14 years 5 months ago #134146 by moss
michaeljspraggon wrote:

Michael

Wichard stainless steel snap release, expensive little bugger but works very well. I'll dig up the part number. Lot's of possibilities to improvise but the Wichard is so good I've stopped trying.
-moss

More
14 years 5 months ago #134147 by moss
moss wrote:

michaeljspraggon wrote:

Michael

Wichard stainless steel snap release, expensive little bugger but works very well. I'll dig up the part number. Lot's of possibilities to improvise but the Wichard is so good I've stopped trying.
-moss

Here's the part number/spec:
Wichard 2673 Quick release snap shackle - L.70 (L. 2 3/4")

I put on a small pear screwlink below the snap to make it easier to hook the snap release onto the pulldown hook or biner. On release no hardware goes up with the pouch it all just droops down and hangs on the hook, there is no recoil or flying metal.

-moss

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds