Hitch Climber on the Bridge?

• Keokas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #137062 by Keokas
Replied by Keokas on topic Hitch Climber on the Bridge?
Hello!

I am new here in the forums and found this old thread. I have a similar question about Hitch Climber pulley on a rope bridge.

I have a Teufelberger harness with a rope bridge and a Hitch Climber (rapide) pulley. Is it safe to put that pulley directly to the bridge? How many kN should it stand for the sheave to be strong enough?

Another option would be the Rook swivel-pulley. It should be meant exactly for that purpose, and the swivel adds a nice feature for the system. It looks like 14 kN on the sheave. I might try it also some day. The advantage of the HC for me is, that I already have it :) I'd like to try it out, but thought that it would be better to ask here first :)

Thank you!
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Keokas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keokas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #137064 by Keokas
Well... After some searching I decided not to use the HC on the bridge, since that pulley is not intended to be used that way. Basically it could be used considerably safe, but maybe twisting the bridge could have caused some problems, as I have understood the manufactor's instructions... (English is not my primary language)

So I decided to give a try for Rock Exotica Hydro swivel-pulley instead.

Why would I do that? Just curiosity. As a new climber I like to try everything new, gear techniques and so (-:

But thanks anyway, maybe this old topic was discussed already 5 years ago.

This is a nice forum, I'll keep reading about everything interesting (-:

Regards!

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #137065 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic Hitch Climber on the Bridge?
Hi Keokas ! If you are european HC is OK for rope bridge as it is an EN 12278. It is one of the rare micro pulleys that are standardized by europe as life support attachment point. Taking the rapide version you got 30KN of strengh. No one would say it's not a secure tool...

But the design of it is not as good as the hydra when it comes to bridge pulleys. Hydra is just perfect for that use.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by bradypus.

More
9 years 6 months ago #137066 by Tree-D
Replied by Tree-D on topic Hitch Climber on the Bridge?
A note for new climbers... don't forget that it is ALL new to you! No reason for you to be the ones to go out and try crazy new gear and techniques. I suggest that you stick to the things considered "standard" and "tried and true." You don't know the difference anyway... it's all new to you. Explore truly innovative techniques AFTER you have a deep and complete understanding of the standard tools, and even then, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Explore innovative techniques when you have reached the limits of the standard tools, and still find you have a problem that needs to be solved.

Just my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradypus

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #137067 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Hitch Climber on the Bridge?
I prefer a simple large 40mm DMM ring on my bridge, I've never felt it didn't move well enough when I rotate my hips away from my rope's anchor point, and it provides plenty of room for multiple attachments. If anything I'd rather have a little friction there than a roller or pulley sheave.

With multiple attachments on the ring, you can see how I'd rather use my DMM Hitchclimber pulleys

-AJ
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by moss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wachins, Keokas

• Keokas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #137070 by Keokas
Thanks a lot for answers.

My bridge has similar ring than on the upper picture. The system on the right on the other picture is familiar to me. I started climbing DdRT using it after climbing only SRT for a couple of years. Nobody really teaches DdRT for recreational climbers here. So now I am learning to climb with Blake's Hitch. :)

I was first thinking about a rigging plate on the bridge, then a swivel, then the combination of them plus a pulley. But keeping those max three carabiners in order in that ring should not be a big problem :)

Good to know anyway, that the using the HC on the bridge should be ok, at least in theory :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #137073 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Hitch Climber on the Bridge?
I totally agree with Moss. The Hitch Climber shines in a climbing system. If you want a pulley on your bridge, use the Hydra (Rook). It provides multiple tie in points and will reduce wear on your rope bridge. I've been using a DMM swivel lately, which I like, however the ring works great, allowing plenty of movement. Sometimes a little friction is a good thing.

More
9 years 6 months ago #137080 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic Hitch Climber on the Bridge?
also the third hole in the hitch climber can be used as a secondary attachment point

More
9 years 6 months ago #137085 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Hitch Climber on the Bridge?
Nice pictures, Moss!

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds