Biners, cleaning and type

• ponderosa
  • ponderosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123420 by ponderosa
Biners, cleaning and type was created by ponderosa
I first preferred ball lock biners, until I started having problems with sticking and delayed locking. So I switched to the William TriAct M23. But I noticed on one that the spring on the twisting orange sleeve is releasing before the gate returns all the way, preventing the gate from closing automatically. I keep my biners clean and dry. So my questions:

What are peoples' preferences for locking biners, what are people using to clean them, and where are they buying them?

Harv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123421 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Biners
Kong Grenade Gate Biners

I've used lots through the years and these things are tough. They work great and I've not had any problems.

Keep some powdered graphite handy though keeps the action smooth.

I have a Black Diamond twist lock biner. It has a sleeve that twists to open the gate. I use this on my split tail setup because I can open it one handed to redirect.

I'd say try the KONG biners, you wont go back.

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123423 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Biners, cleaning and type
A light spray of solvent, WD40 type, flushes out gunk. Graphite occasionally.

If the biners get really gritty, boil them in a pan to burble out the nasties. Dry and lube.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123426 by homesteadpaul
Replied by homesteadpaul on topic Biners, cleaning and type
I haven't used this on biners, but it works on other gear used in dirty places.

WD40 and other oils make dust and grit stick and clog things up quickly after each cleaning. Try a gun action cleaner that doesn't leave a lube. Then use grafite or some other dry lube.

==>paul

More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123427 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Biners, cleaning and type
WD40 gets a bad rap. Unless its used a lot it doesn't collect grit. WD40 is probably used more than any other lube. If it was as bad as its opponents think it is the world would have ground to a halt long ago.

I now that there are better solvent/lubes but they aren't always as accessible. Used properly, WD40 works fine.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123428 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Google Search on Carabiner Cleaning
The purpose of this entry is to share the results of a Google search on the topic of carabiner maintenance and cleaning. A copied excerpt is here.

"Maintenance of Carabiners
Keep carabiners dry and clean. Protect carabiners from corrosion. Do not store in humid or salty air, with damp clothing, or near corrosive chemicals. Do not file, engrave, etch or modify carabiners for any reason. Sand any burrs with 220-400 grade sandpaper. If this does not remove the burr, destroy the carabiner.

If a carabiner gate sticks, use an air hose to blow grit out of the mechanism, wash it in warm, soapy water, rinse thoroughly and lubricate with dry graphite around the hinge area, inside the spring hole and locking mechanism. Perform the 3 step inspection process outlined below before each use. Please remember that some environmental effects such as salt water can shorten the life of your carabiner and cause premature failure."

This is the link: http://www.resqtek.com/carabiner_maintenance.htm

Regards,
JimK

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds