lanyards

• Brian Trautz
  • Brian Trautz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122885 by Brian Trautz
lanyards was created by Brian Trautz
I am just starting to rec. climb & took the basic course 2 wks ago I'm trying to find out where I can get a 25' 1/2" arborists Daisy rope/ lanyard. The Sherrill rep on the phone wasn't sure what it is & either am I . It's not in their catalog any advice would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122886 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic lanyards
The term "lanyard" is a very loose term used to describe many things.

So where to get one would depend on what type of lanyard you are looking for. What do you want it to be able to do? What will you be using it for?

We can help you out when we know what you're looking for.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Brian Trautz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122888 by Brian Trautz
Replied by Brian Trautz on topic daisy rope
according to TCI under Tree Gear; a Daisy Rope is a short secondary climbing rope of 25' , 1/2 " with 2 fig 8 loops on ea. end used to setup a higher rope placement , for climbing short distances and as a backup. Also known as a lanyard but much longer than stnd. lanyards. I want a safety rope that I can throw around a crotch or branch to re adjust to position myself better, Thanks BT

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122889 by Tear
Replied by Tear on topic lanyards
I've got 300 ft. of climbing rope, divided into 150, 125, and 25 foot sections. I bought it in two 150 ft. lengths, and cut the 25 off one. Just buy 25 ft. of climbing rope and tie your own double fig.-8s in it. No one's going to sell them pre-tied or anything.

Josh

• Brian Trautz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122891 by Brian Trautz
Replied by Brian Trautz on topic lanyards
should I consider another type of safety line like an adjustable buckstrap with snaps they adjust from 4--7 feet or just go with the 25' Daisy Rope ---thanks , I'm tryin' to get this all together this week I have everything else I need to start climbin' safely

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122892 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Lanyard
Brian,

Stick with a tied line of 25' (or more) rather than a purpose specific lanyard. First of all a lanyard is specificaly a work positioning tool, i.e. it help keep you in place when you are tightening bolts, cutting branches, etc. I assume you are climbing for fun so you are going to be moving more often than you would if you were working, so a lanyard of that type is not really appropriate. Secondly a tied section of rope can be used in a myriad of ways to assist in a climb. I mostly use mine in a double ended fashion with a loop tied midline to my saddle; clipin, free climb to next clip point, repeat; just like climbing a ladder. But I also have the option of untying the loop (8 or butterfly) and using the entire lenght for a short climb line. In this function it works great for horizontal movement. Third lanyards with attached snaps tend to be very heavy. 'biners and rope weigh less than rated webbing and steel snaps.
Good luck getting started.

Climb Safe!

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122893 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic another lanyard option
I use a 10 foot section of 1/2 rope as a lanyard. One side is tied to the "side D" on my NT saddle with an anchor hitch. The other end has a locking biner attached with an anchor hitch. That end also has a prusik tied on the lanyard and the end of the prusik loop runs through the locking biner.
That way, I can adjust the length of my lanyard as needed. One advantage of a shorter rope is that I can shove it into the open climbing bucket on the side of my saddle, then I don't get tangled in the lanyard. The disadvantage with it being only 10' is that I can't as easily use the lanyard to do a free climb like Icabod can.
Patrick

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122895 by Tear
Replied by Tear on topic lanyards
25 is ideal, I think. It allows for a lot of movement and variability and improvisation. My bag on my saddle can hold 40 ft. of 1/2 in. rope, so 25 doesn't even begin to fill it up.

Josh

• Brian Trautz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122896 by Brian Trautz
Replied by Brian Trautz on topic rope
Thanks everyone, I ordered 25' of safety blue from Sherrill for my back-up rope planning to tie a fig 8 with a bite on each end to start. Hope to get out next weekend in a Chestnut or White Oak, BT

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122897 by nickfromwi
What Patrick explained is the most similar to the system I use. You can just throw it around the trunk or over a branch, hook the carabiner or snap-hook (mine's aluminum and only weighs a bit more than a carabiner) on the other side of you saddle. Then I adjust (with one hand) the length of the loop I want holding me. The length of the lanyard is just about 9' and goes all the way down to just about one foot. It is technically a work-positioning lanyard, but I use it for rec climbing all the time and it's is definately suited for that type of climbing.

With just a bit more gear, you can modify that 25' of safety blue to be a fully adjustable lanyard!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123173 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic lanyards
Using a figure eight on a bight for a terminal eye does work but it has some short comings.

Uses a lot of rope
Bulky
Doesn't capture the biner/snap

Many arbos use a double fisherman's hitch to tie in a biner or snap on the end of the rope. You could do two round turns before tieing off the line if you want more friction or weight around the snap/biner.

Seizing or taping the tail of the rope keeps things tidy.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123176 by nickfromwi
Or you could splice it.

love
nick

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123181 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic lanyards

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Then I adjust (with one hand) the length of the loop I want holding me.

Nick, what do you use to adjust the lanyard length? Tom Otto showed me the Knut knot, that seems to work pretty well with one hand, but not when there is lots of slack in the lanyard (could be operator error, though).

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123199 by nickfromwi
Patrick, the Knut should work fine for that job. I reccomend the Distel to people who are still learning. It's a super smooth knot that is easy to teach and learn. Have you tried it?

love
nick

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123203 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic lanyards
I know how to tie it, but have never climbed on it. I would have to use a pulley to tend the slack, right? I'm hoping to use as little equipment as possible, but still be efficient and safe. The Knut, as far as I can tell, is supposed to tend the slack without needing another piece of equipment.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds