new to climbing

• squirrelmaster
  • squirrelmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago #136006 by squirrelmaster
new to climbing was created by squirrelmaster
Hello everybody. I'm a new climber in beautiful Richmond, VA. I'm looking for someone to climb with on the weekends. I bought all the gear I need including a helmet and safety glasses. I have acrophobia and I want to desensitize myself to the fear. Below I have made a list of the gear I own. I think that I bought everything I need and then some. I have read a lot about tree climbing over the last 4 years and I finally decided to take the plunge. Being such an unforgiving sport I'd like to learn about rescue techniques and proper tree assessment, but most of all, I want to have fun (safely)!

-NT Tree Fox Saddle
-Petzl Elios Climbing Helmet
-Armor-Prus 10mm Split Tail
-New England Fly 11mm Climbing Rope - 150' Length
-New England Tachyon 11.5 mm Climbing Rope - 60' Length (I will cut this to lanyard length)
-Yale Bee Line 5/16" Prusik Cord - 6' Lenght (will cut this for Moss style closed hitch"
-Dan House Rope Sleeve 1/2" x 30" and 1/2 x 18"
-(2) CMI RP110 Micro Pulley
-(2) Petzl William Triact Carabiner
-(2) Petzl Am'D Triact Carabiner
-Yale Classic Slick Line - 200' Length
-Weaver Throw Line Storage Bag - Small
-Buckingham Bullet-Style Throw Weight - 10 oz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #136014 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re: new to climbing
I think there is a Climbers Finder tool in this site that you can use to search a particular area for Climbers and events going one - Keep looking and searching , You may also try Meet up sometime people post events on MeetUp and you can join in to check it out. You are at that point that every event will be a learning experience. You learn a lot climbing with others and getting more comfortable with your gear and learn new techniques. Good luck and welcome to Tree Climbing. Look under TOOLS and there is the "Climber Finder" and look under TREE CLIMBING and there is info on starting a Tree Climbing Club or group. Hope this helps.
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by oldtimer. Reason: Added additional info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds