Australian and/or New Zealand Trees

• wahoo101
  • wahoo101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 6 months ago #130554 by wahoo101
Australian and/or New Zealand Trees was created by wahoo101
Has anyone done a climb of the huge kauri trees of Australia or New Zealand. They look to be incredible trees to climb. Hoping to plan a trip there...any suggestions? Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #130607 by zionstree
Replied by zionstree on topic Re:Australian and/or New Zealand Trees
Hi
I have climbed one of these beautiful trees. It was in a park though not in the forest (unfortunatly). Around 140ft it is semi mature. They have thin bark so please use a friction saver for drt. A big one cause the first limbs are hefty. The biggest challenge is getting your line up cause the first limbs are high. I would say big shot required. Limbs get closer the higher you go and it gets easier.
If you're going to New Zealand be careful where you climb as these trees have spiritual value to the Mauri's. Show respect.
Dont know where to find really big ones in Aus I think the NZ ones are bigger.
What part of Aus would you visit?
Cheers

More
15 years 10 months ago #131635 by vitex42
Replied by vitex42 on topic Re:Australian and/or New Zealand Trees
Agathis australis (Kauri) is common in NZ and Agathis robusta (Queensland Kauri)is Australian. The branches are soft and sappy so you need to set good anchor points. The bark is very thin and susceptible to damage. Arborists collecting cones in NZ often climb barefoot to avoid damaging the bark. There are lots of these trees on reserves as well as in City parks. I have some people you can ask about expeditions climbing Kauris in NZ.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds