Visiting Portland, Oregon early June

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129879 by moss
My wife and I will be visiting friends in Portland, OR and in Bellingham, WA between 6/3 and 6/12. Any suggestions for climbs in or near either city? If you live nearby and are interested in getting together for a climb let me know.

Feel free to email, U2U, or post in this thread.
Thanks,
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129882 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic Visiting Portland, Oregon early June
moss, i live about 100 miles south of portland. i would like to meet for a climb. however, i am not very familiar with the area, so i wouldn't know any good climbs. hopefully someone else will chime in that knows more.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129883 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Visiting Portland, Oregon early June

Originally posted by Sitka
moss, i live about 100 miles south of portland. i would like to meet for a climb. however, i am not very familiar with the area, so i wouldn't know any good climbs. hopefully someone else will chime in that knows more.

Thanks Sitka. Logistically it will be difficult for me to go too far south of Portland but I'm working on it. Ideally I'd love to visit New Tribe HQ in Grant's Pass but it's a big state :-) Let's see what else turns up.
-moss

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129884 by coonrad
Replied by coonrad on topic Visiting Portland, Oregon early June
moss,

If it fits in your schedule, you are more than welcome to come out to Bainbridge Island (directly across puget sound from seattle) on the weekend of 6/9-6/10. Same goes for any other climbers that would be able to join.

I have some nice douglas fir and red cedar right on my lot (plus a western hemlock and a neat horse chestnut tree). There is also an exceptional specimen doug fir just down the street. My guess is that it is one of the biggest doug firs in kitsap county. It is as of yet unclimbed because up until the storm last fall there was a bald eagle nest at the top so I left it alone. The nest was taken away by the storm and the eagles have since moved on.

Here's the view from one of my firs:

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129887 by sitka12
moss, i didnt mean for you to have to travel down south, i only meant to explain that i was close enough to come up to portland to climb. there's lots to do up there and I'm always looking for an excuse to cruz up there.

however, it sounds like coonrad has much more to offer. bainbridge island is an awsome place and it looks like he's go some cool trees. coonrad, i don't suppose you would mine if i saddled up along with yall if i could swing a ride up to seattle? i would love to try climbing a redcedar. the only one's round here are pretty scrappy.

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129888 by coonrad
Replied by coonrad on topic Visiting Portland, Oregon early June
Sitka, for sure, that would be great.

I just realized though that I'm a doofus and I can't read calendars. I'm going to be in Eastern Oregon the weekend of 6/9-6/10.

I could do some climbing on 6/11 if that works for either of you...

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129890 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Visiting Portland, Oregon early June
Nice offer Coonrad. It's going to be a little tight time-wise over the weekend of 6/9 -6/10 will be in Bellingham and going back to Portland 6/11.

I'm looking at Forest Park in Portland, 5000 acres, largest urban woods in the U.S. Looks big enough to get lost in. That means a climb can usually be found. Anyone have any experience with it?
-moss

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129891 by sitka12
moss, that was one place i was going to suggest. the hoyt arboretum is located at the begining of forest park and has some spectacular trees. though i'm not sure about their tree climbing policy . . .

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130114 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Back to the east coast
My wife and I had a great visit to Oregon and Washington, love the trees and the people. I did a couple of climbs in Portland and Bellingham. Great trees are there to be found, the climate and land grows them big and fast! I'm buried in work right now but will post photos and climb reports when I can. Thanks again for the offers to climb from Sitka and Coonrad. I will be back, next time for a dedicated climbing trip.

Still suffering shock and awe after looking at some old-growth Douglas Fir in the forest. Still suffering coffee withdrawal after getting hooked on the great java. Still happy from watching 45+ Bald Eagle hovering on the edge of Lummi Island off Bellingham. Finshed off the last of my bag of Steelhead jerky, have to order more pronto.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds