Finding the owner

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128790 by nickfromwi
Finding the owner was created by nickfromwi
I went for a bike ride today and found a lot of land in a nice neighborhood that had NO house on it and maybe about 7 nice coastal live oaks on it. It looked like a grove waiting to happen.

Any tips on finding out who owns the place? I don't know where even to begin.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• john e routon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128791 by john e routon
Replied by john e routon on topic "Places to look"
There are several ways to locate the owner / owners of the property.A visit to any house or business that is located close to the area.It would require that you ask the question to someone," Do you know who owns the property with the trees on it." If they ask why;you are a possible buyer for the property.Another source is the tax department in your county.Go to the land plat section and they will assist you in finding the land lot number and who pays taxes on it. Once you find the land lot number or address you may be able to research it on the county website. The first source will probably be the easiest.Once you know who the property owner is then the real fun begains. Knowing as much as you can about the owner will assist you in talking about climbing his/her trees.Credibility is the key to selling any new idea to someone.Treeclimbingusa worked on this for many years before the community accepted us. Take it slow and easy and be ready to take the owner on a guided treeclimb to gain credibility.Build a good relationsahip with them and the doors will open.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128792 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Finding the owner
Good idea to talk to the neigbors.

I'm prepped to trim all the dead out for free AND take the owner and friends on a climb.

Fingers crossed! I'll head back tomorra'

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• john e routon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128795 by john e routon
Replied by john e routon on topic "Make contact first"
Its real important that the person or group that you are wanting to bring on board with treeclimbing knows a little about the sport before you start to climb and cut.A briefing with lots of pictures and a outline of what you are about sets the stage for success.Until they are off the ground on rope,they really can't understand this sport or your efforts.Hang in there ---you may have a grove in the making!!!!!!!:)

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128806 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Shot down!
Well, I found a mailbox with a name right on the mailbox, so I brought that info to www.whitepages.com and did a reverse search and found the owner!

I just called them this morning and explained my intentions and right away the lady explained that she doesn't want me to climb their trees, they don't have insurance for that, and that if I want, I can write a letter explaining myself, and she'll turn it over to her attorney.

Sonofagun. This is gonna be a fun one!

love
nick

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128812 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic Finding the owner
that sound like the time i saw a platform in a large coastal redwood, located infront of a big victorian style house. i decided to ask the owners if i could climb it and check out the platform. I knocked on the door, and an annoyed looking lady answered. I proposed my idea and she gave me an expression like I was a doofus from another planet.

"That is simpwy wee-dicurous." She said. "Then you fall out of the twee and sue us? Our insurance doesn't cover you to climb our twees."

I asked about the platform and she said somebody probably built it in the 70's, but racoons lived there now. She again added that it was "wee-dicurous" to ask to climb a person's tree.

I think the general public has some crazy ideas about what tree climbing is. Most people I talk to assume that by tree climbing I mean that I free climbing up trees with no ropes or a harness.

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128815 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Finding the owner
Doing a tree climbing "cold-call" is tricky business. I've convinced several neighbors to let me climb in their trees. They are understandably skeptical at first. I do a demonstration climb and they get it pretty quickly. Especially when I take out a couple of dead branches that could fall on their kids heads.

It's worth realizing that many people think of their property as their own private place to escape from the outside world and resent any intrusion.

The climbing locations open up on private property but not from where you might expect.
-moss

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128827 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Networking and tree climbing.
Hey Nick. Hitting up land owners from the blue is a tough proposition. Now if you have experience selling used cars, you might have the mo-jo to get you working. How about another approach: networking. Maybe a business card saying “Wanted- Great Trees To Climb”. Maybe add “Great Benefits-free loving care for your tree.” Hey, you are a California guy in California. Pass them out to friends you know and let them have some fun with it. Have your e-mail address on the card. Let it be known you are looking for great trees. Use the Tree People- now that is a huge resource right there. You might even end up swamped with requests. Have a list of conditions you are looking for ready to e-mail out in a reply. Tell us how it goes.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128828 by pantheraba
Replied by pantheraba on topic Finding the owner
That's a pretty cool idea...some people will be proud to show off their tree...they might be glad to have you climb it as someone who appreciates trees.

And, then, some people probably don't appreciate the trees they have...it takes an appreciative, discerning eye to recognize the uniqueness of a tree.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129277 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Finding the owner
"wee-dicorous"

HAHAHHAHAHAHA :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds