Mt Ranier?

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127518 by dude512
Mt Ranier? was created by dude512
Anybody been up any of the tree's in Mt Ranier NP. I was just there today and there are a lot of sweet trees. Does the park have a stand on tree climbing? What about going off the trail?

I will be in the area for another 2 weeks and would love to climb up one of them.

Anybody want to go? I have my gear but am a little out of my league with the tree entry stuff (the tree's are a lot smaller in Maryland)

Soooo, if anyone wants to climb in Mt Ranier NP let me know

Later

Bakes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• scottdb
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127605 by scottdb
Replied by scottdb on topic Mt Ranier?
As far as I know climbing trees in the National Park system is off limits.

There are plenty of big trees in the National Forest nearby if you are still around or come back out some time.

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127606 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic Mt Ranier?
Yeah I found plenty of them outside the park (on Ft. Lewis). Didn't matter though as it is pretty hard to get up in a tree that size without a big shot or something.

Next time I am out there I will definately have some sort of mechanical line placement tool.

I looked pretty close at the rules for the park and did not see anything forbidding the climbing of trees. If you can climb glaciers and rocks in national parks...why not trees?

Anybody else here of off limit tree climbing in National Parks?

Later

Bakes

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127609 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Mt Ranier?

Originally posted by scottdb
As far as I know climbing trees in the National Park system is off limits.

There isn't a blanket rule about NOT climbing in the National Parks. I have a letter stating I CAN climb in Sequoia National Park...as long as I don't climb........the Sequoias!!!!

But still, I CAN climb the other great trees.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129629 by Duff
Replied by Duff on topic Mt Ranier?
I'm originally from Puyallup. I'd look in the Carbon River Valley just outside the Carbon River entrance to the park. I knew some people back in the early-'90s who would go there to collect moss for "moss animals" (topiary-like things made of wire and moss, shaped like animals and sold to housewives in Bellevue ...). Shameful, I know. While they were doing their thing I would wander off to look for cool trees. There are some big ones there, despite the clearcuts.

Oops, just realized this thread is a year old. Oh well.

Everything that was to happen had happened and everything that was to be seen had gone. It was now one of those moments when nothing remains but an opening in the sky and a story—and maybe something of a poem. Norman Maclean

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129691 by nickfromwi
Maybe some people need a couple photos to entice them! :D

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129797 by coonrad
Replied by coonrad on topic Mt Ranier?
The Carbon river valley does indeed have some impressive stands of old growth.

I was just plowing through my copy of The Wild Trees and there is discussion of climbing in the Carbon river area by several of the people in the book.

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129818 by Duff
Replied by Duff on topic Mt Ranier?
Oh yeah, I forgot that Hillery and Wallower did a lot of climbing there while looking for the world's tallest Doug-fir. Hillery's the one who fell almost one-hundred feet and lived. I guess he was saved by Hillery duff.

[turns and runs away ...]

Everything that was to happen had happened and everything that was to be seen had gone. It was now one of those moments when nothing remains but an opening in the sky and a story—and maybe something of a poem. Norman Maclean

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129824 by nickfromwi
that made me laugh!!!!

Hillery duff!!!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds