Google Earth

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127400 by nickfromwi
Google Earth was created by nickfromwi
I think Google Earth may be the answer to what a lot of us have been looking for. I use it to mark trees that I've climbed or plan to climb. Now I see there is a Google Earth Community (Click to see) which is a forum for people (nerds) that use Google Earth. Look at the "Layers" in the lower left and you'll see one that is a blue lower case "i". If you select that, you can see placemarks that people have shared with the Google Earth Community.

If you open Google Earth on your computer (if you haven't downloaded it yet, JUST GET IT

I think there's got to be a way where we, TCI, can just piggy-back onto the Google Earth website and mark trees that only WE can see, rather than having all sorts of other people littlering OUR maps with Placemarks we don't care about.

So the questions I have...

Is this already somehow possible?
If not, how could we make this work?
Anyone else intersted?

I LOVE maps and maybe my perceptions of how useful this would be is skewed by my lust for cartography.

I would like to thank/curse Dan House for introducing me to Google Earth. He's also good at driving vehicles that have no power.
:D

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127401 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Google Earth
Check this one out!

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127402 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Google Earth
Sounds like a great idea Nick!
I was about to compose a post to Dude5 on this but a new thread is the best way to go.

Also Nick,
Check your email and see if the file I sent you works.
Please let me know.

Thanks,
Electrojake

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127404 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Google Earth
My area doesn't look quite that nice...you 'Cali guys get everything!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127411 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Google Earth
Electrojake, I did get the email, I want to share with everyone here the results... Jake sent me a .kmz file. It was basically a placemark for Google Earth. When I opened it, it automatically opened up GE and went straight to the place he had marked. COOL!

I tried attaching it here. We'll see if this site can handle that type of file.

Icabod, I didn't think about that. When I look at my home town of Stanley, WI I can't see much detail at all. I can barely make out a barn or silo, much less a specific tree. Here in LA, I can see trees, cars, my yard....everything.

A downside? Yes. BUT, if you go to a tree with the GPS, get the coordinates, you can still put that on the map to share with others and we can come find it later if we like!

love
nick

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127413 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Google Earth
Looks like it worked!
When I simply clicked on the file in your post it loaded GE (with errors), but it did work. However, when I right clicked your post and downloaded the file and then clicked it from my own computer, it also worked but without any errors. Nice!

The good news: An easy way to trade climbing spot info!
The bad news: Hundreds of people will now be traveling to the mosquito infested swamps of Jersey to climb “MY” favorite trees! :D

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds