Get togethers.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127079 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Get togethers.

Originally posted by Climber020
. . . I have contacted NJ parks department to get a list of state parks that they will allow you to climb.

Being a Jersey climber, I would be Very interested in hearing about how this works out for you. I do know that just recently legislation was passed to allow “rock” climbing in a few, select, New Jersey State parks.
Please keep us informed on your results.

Electrojake

P.S. Ya know Doug, If it’s just you and moss, I wouldn’t worry too much about the permission issue. Heck, you can pack a Silky and make it a work climb! ;)
-Ej-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• climber020
  • climber020's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127080 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Get togethers.
I plan on going anyway but the permission thing is nice to have. But it isn't like too many cops go by there or city workers in the park on weekends. So chances of being seen by authorities are pretty low.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127081 by Electrojake

Originally posted by moss
I'm still planning on visiting you Jersey climbers :-) . . . I'm hoping to see Electrojake (if we can flush him out of his backyard!). . .
-moss

Funny you should mention that.
It would seem that you are attempting to move our original rendezvous point (which was 17 miles from my dear backyard) to one that is almost 200 miles away in Pensy.

I know that you are an avid climber. To me climbing is principally a really neat summer time activity. At my level, I am more interested in the meet than the actual climb. (But yes, I certainly do climb, and frequently with a camera strap in my teeth)

By the way, be prepared to be queried on digital photog issues. You were the fellow with the Canon EOS-1Ds, right??? :D . . .
But seriously, I have admired your work and do look forward to meeting you.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127082 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Get togethers.
Oops... sorry EJ, didn't realize the distances involved to the PA location :-) Is true, the main thing is to get together and hang out. A little climbing wouldn't hurt either. I'll mellow out and await further instructions from the New Jersey contingent.
-moss

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #126949 by Electrojake
If the Jersey expedition fails, a trip to Boston this summer is not out of the question. I have some family in NH too.

Perhaps I can kidnap climber020 and we can have the Jersey rendezvous in Massachusetts!

• climber020
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127116 by climber020
Well the weather for the weekends climb is gonna be a little bit on the chilly side. There is supposed to be a high between 38-42 and windy. I will update again on Thursday in case the snow/rain on friday ends up being on Saturday. Looking forward to meeting you all.

On another note, I contact NJ's Department of Environmental Protection,
I have yet recieved an e-mail about climbing at the park so the way I see it is that if they didn't want us there they would have gotten back to me.
Also I contact NJDEP divions of parks and foresty and they said there job is to preserve the trees and large numbers of the climbers of a long period of time will cause damage to the tree.
So far now try to be out of site and out of mind.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127117 by moss
I wouldn't mind putting of my Jersey trip until we get more favorable weather. I've been climbing in what passed for winter this year but it would be nice to bust out and wear a t-shirt in a tree!

On the other hand I can be convinced that this is a must do climbing day even if there is a raging blizzard. I'm planning on being in the Princeton area for the weekend in early April so that would be a good back-up time for me.

I've recently located a good selection of EXCELLENT trees in my neighborhood close enough to Boston but in a wild setting where there is no worry about being disturbed by gendarmes or anybody for that matter. So, when the New Jersey contingent is ready to move slightly north for a weekend, I'll take you on a canpy tour.
-moss

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127118 by Electrojake
Yeah, Doug, weather.com says 26-38 degrees with a 20% chance of precip.
If we get snow or liquid ice... I’ll be stuck at work anyway.

On a positive note: I think it may be raw, but certainly not stormy.
I’ll gladly sit in my truck and film you guys doing a blizzard climb! :D

Regardless of weather, it should be interesting.
See you there!

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127119 by Electrojake
Tee Shirt Climb? Now we’re talkin! ;)
Some facts about Electrojake. . .
Wears long-johns till May 15. (I dont do “cold” very well anymore)
Has not been “out” in a tree since November. (got any indoor trees?)
Prefers a bucket truck to ladders or rope. (O.K. so I’m not an athlete)
Has cup-holders and arm rests sewn into saddle. (Hey, comfort works!)

Ya know moss, this summer-time climb in Massachusetts may be an adventure I can actually “make happen”. After the school year is over, my on-rope time increases greatly. By mid-summer I’d be delighted to get some fresh, Ma. timber under my TIP!

In the mean time, I’ll hook-up with climber020 for the March 18 meet. That’s the day after St. Patrick’s Day. This is gonna be interesting indeed.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127123 by moss
I'm not out of the 3/18 meet yet :-) I'll be watching the weather. Original plan is to drive down Friday late afternoon. If it looks like snow will add hours to my drive I will bail. If you guys decide to cancel based on weather send email before 3:00 pm on Friday. Is New Jersey north of the Waffle House line? If so what is the bad weather renezvous place? Something to think about. Where's breakfast going to be?
-moss

• climber020
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127124 by climber020
I will let you guys call it. I climb in rain, sleet, snow, 40+ mph winds and all. I'm quite use it the elements. But it is gonna be windy and cold and it is best to be safe and warm. But a climb in April is definitly doable.

But for as a trip to MA this summrt....hmm... I'm always up for something new.

I cannot wait for next year myself. I plan on taking a trip to Oregon to Pacific Tree Climbing Institute for an over night camp out. Sleping 200+ feet over the Pacific ocean in a douglass fir must be breathtaking. And plus i can see the sun set on the ocean.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127127 by Electrojake
So, the picture I get is this. . .
Climber020 shows and climbs no matter what, 100%.
Electrojake is looking like a 98% show with a 50-50 climb.
And moss has one big question; Will that 5 hour drive to N.J. turn into a 14 hour odyssey due to foul weather?

See, It’s getting interesting and we didn’t even meet yet. :)

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127128 by moss
I'd like to climb in NJ with slightly more spring-like weather, makes the drive more tolerable thinking about warm sun and singing birds. Let me know if there's a good date for you in mid to early April.
Thanks,
-moss

• climber020
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127132 by climber020
Any weekend would be good for me but I will let Jake call it being spring brake is in April and all. I don't know if vacations are planned or anything.
So I guess we will scrap this weekend then. March is a funny month. One day it is 80 the next it is snowing. Go figure.

But yes spring like weather is definitly more pleasing to climb in then 40 degrees with 30 mph winds. Lets hope the April showers won't rain on our parade. :D

See you at the top.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127133 by Electrojake
O.K. then, so we scrub the March 18 climb.
Just as well. . . The 5 day forecast shows it getting a little colder and windier each day this week. The following weekend I’m booked-up so it will indeed be April before I get another shot at this. :(

Option-B
Doug, if your going to be there to climb regardless of moss or me, I’ll show up anyway. At least I can meet you and I might be able to get a few decent photos. As for me climbing in the predicted 39 degree, overcast, and windy weather conditions. . . Well, lets just say, August sounds more my speed :D

Yeah, I was thinking of going on a St. Patricks Day bender with my mother-in-law anyway.
Hmm, what's it gonna be. . .
Booze or Branches?

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds