Get togethers.

• climber020
  • climber020's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126917 by climber020
Get togethers. was created by climber020
The people that post here are mostly in the US so I figured that it would be a good idea if each area in the US could get together for a great time and learning experience. Cause no matter how much you know someone knows something to do that could make your climb for easy and enjoyable. Also it would be a great way for people to see some equipment in use and possibly try it before you buy it.

I was talking to electrojake about a get together here in the northeast either the end of June or the beginning of July. I know of a good park that I go to that we could climb at being my boss is on the board for the park. I will post in early June both on this site and Treebuzz to get an idea on head count to see if I would need a permit for a large group of people.

I just figured this would be worth mentioning now for others to get to together to climb.

See you at the top.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126919 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Get togethers.
You probably could've guessed, count me in. My only complaint is how about sooner :-)

Ok, now it's time to go out and do an evening climb.
-moss

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126920 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Get togethers.
July is better for “me”. I want to get fully away from the school year, which I believe ends around June 21 this year. Any time from about July 7th on sounds safe.
Electrojake

P.S. Don’t let my anemic schedule stand in the way of you boys getting together and “smokin’ a Blake’s hitch” If you schedule a pre-season meet in the near future, let me know and I’ll swing by even if it’s just for a quick coffee and a hand shake. :)

Thanks,
Ej

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126978 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic North east gathering? Tell us more!
Do we have a regional mini-gathering brewing here? Maybe it could turn into a major gathering. Talk some more on specific dates, location, and time here. Now is the time to set it up while we shiver the timbers waiting for winter to pass.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• climber020
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126989 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Get togethers.
Our first get together is going to on March 18th at Marquand Park in Princeton, NJ. The park is on the corner of Route 206 and Lovers Lane. The nearest highways are Route 1, 295 and 95. I can give direction from all 3 so just e-mail me.

I will be arriving there at 9:30 and will wait for others to arrive until 10, then I'll be off climbing. There isn't a bathroom at the park so I would advise going before hand. I will try to find a near by place to go. For info on the park go to my web page and I have the web address for it posted in the title of my photo album.

When in the park the trees must be treated with respect as posted on signs and please don't litter. I am just stating the rules to cover myself, I don't think that anyone would actually to anything wrong.

I will also be bringing my climbing spikes just incase of an emergency.

But above all lets have fun and be sure to bring a camera.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126993 by moss
I'm going to try and combine a NYC visit (I have a place to stay there) with the climb. Thanks for moving ahead on this.
-moss

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126994 by Electrojake
Hmm. . .
A month lead time, reasonable weather is a possibility by then.
Some fresh photos for my tired old web site would be nice too!
Should be neat!
Ej

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126995 by moss
Just to confirm, I'm scheduled to be there. Looking forward to it.

Take care,
-moss

• climber020
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127009 by climber020
Well I'm still waiting on permission from the township to be there but even if I don't I'll still be there. Chances are that no one will bother us, they didn't when I was there last in plain site for everyone to see. When I go in March I plan on being farther off the road, in or on the edge of the woods.

Also I just recieved my CPR and First Aid certification as well as bought a small personal first aid kit just incase. Hopefully I can use my knowledge, equipment and the people I know to get permission.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127011 by Electrojake

Originally posted by Climber020
Hopefully I can use my knowledge, equipment and the people I know to get permission.

Ah yes, the Ninja aspect. As a Jersey climber, I understand perfectly.

If it helps your cause, you can inform your people that our ”Mission in March Climb” is so that I (we) can photo-document what you do and how it’s done at the park. A low budget promo, to say the least.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127018 by Electrojake
Big timber in a quaint village backdrop.

Climber020’s Home Turf!

The tumors on this ol' girl were massive!

My wife worked in this area several years ago. She knew where you climb so we took a ride and checked it out. (Nice area by the university, real nice).
But Dang was it ever cold out there today!
The February wind cut like a knife! :(

The lightening protection on the trees, especially the Liriodendron Tulipifera was interesting. It seemed a bit odd to be out in the woods and see heavy copper cables running down the trees and into the earth.

Ej

• climber020
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127019 by climber020
yeah the company I work for does 1/2 the tree work there.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127066 by moss
I'm still planning on visiting you Jersey climbers :-) If it doesn't work out I'm doing a climb somewhere that weekend. Otherwise I'm hoping to see Electrojake (if we can flush him out of his backyard!) and climber020 up a tree.
-moss

• climber020
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127075 by climber020
Iam still waiting for the responce from the township it has been almost a week. I'm hoping for the best.
But on another note I have contacted NJ parks department to get a list of state parks that they will allow you to climb.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127078 by moss
Unfortunately once you ask all kinds of red flags pop up regarding liability. It's the main obstacle for me right now in trying to get various organizations involved in climbing activities.
Inventory of large trees at Marquand Park

This looks like a promising site in southeast Pennsylvania within reach of New Jersey. I went over the entire PA state parks rules and regs and found no prohibition against climbing.
Boyd Big Tree Preserve Conservation Area
-moss

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds