tree climbers in uk

More
16 years 4 months ago #130950 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:tree climbers in uk
Just to clarify, that's 2 minutes 50 seconds up and down the 75ft beech tree. (Although I mustn't boast - that was very naughty of me and could easily have been a record-breaking 1 minute 30 seconds had I slipped and fallen off the top :woohoo: )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #130963 by Archers
Replied by Archers on topic Re:tree climbers in uk
Hi Michael

Must say I'd like to see how the catapult thingies work - I bought a smaller one from an angling shop but lost it before I had a chance to use it - might get another one as only £5

(NB spoke too soon about the fishing pole - broke it last weekend)

2 hours to get up a tree isn't too bad if you're a beginner

A lot of that time is getting the rope up - the trees I am trying to climb are near a hedge and so it is difficult to get a good line - also things like branches get in the way - I have trimmed some off so s/be easier next time

the top of a 75ft Beech tree and back down to the ground in about 2:50.

not for me I'm afraid (in several senses) Stopping and having a look around is all part of the pleasure for me

Are you called Archers because that's what you like to drink?

My full hash name is Archersphilia (I am the hare this coming Sunday - see http://www.quornh3.org.uk/

It so happened that I criticised the Archers radio programme to a woman while we were chatting and walking (as I say - hashing is not a competitive activity). Turned out she was a big Archers fan and also happened to be the person who chose my Hash name - so she got her revenge at my temerity in bad mouthing the Archers by naming me Archersphilia - but I generally shorten it to Archers

nb I did try to send you a private e-mail so we could agree a meet in the Spring (say) for a climb but couldn't get the private e-mail to work.

Also, I am querying wiith TCI (Patty) why all the 12 or so UK members don't appear on the map.

regards

Chris

More
16 years 3 months ago #130966 by michaeljspraggon
Hi Archers, shall I call you Chris instead if you can't stand The Archers? (The Americans won't have a clue what we're talking about!)

Those 'Big Shot' catapaults are a serious bit of kit designed for accessing tall trees - you can really do some damage with one if you're not looking out.

Trimming off branches to make the climb easier? It's not really the done thing :( Remember the trees aren't there for our amusement, they are living things, and we're just visitors in reality. I wouldn't damage any plant or tree unless harvesting it for food or preventing invasive plants from taking over. The most I've done is to clear away dead branches on the first ascent to make the climb easier and safer.

I found the climber finder very slow to use because it appears to download too much information at once. The lack of entries from the UK may also be because not everyone has ticked the box 'show me on climber finder' in their profile.

Have a good weekend. I'm coming down with a cold so my weekend will be spent indoors :S

Regards,
Michael

More
16 years 3 months ago #130973 by Archers
Replied by Archers on topic Re:tree climbers in uk
Hi Michael

shall I call you Chris instead

Yes - Chris is fine - I thought you had used some sophisticated identity fraud software and then I realised I had signed my last e-mail as Chris

It's not really the done thing

Yes I know but ..........

The branches trimmed off the actual tree were either dead or more akin to twigs – only one was thicker than a thumb

the more substantial ones I removed were from the hedge, which is due to be laid (any American reader please don't get too excited – in this context ‘laid’ is a technical term for maintaining a hedge) before spring

The trees are in my garden - yes I know that doesn't really make any difference

may also be because not everyone has ticked the box 'show me on climber finder' in their profile

?have you ticked the box - because you don't appear in the map/list

coming down with a cold

No – you didn’t have a mere cold - it was 'flu but you were being very brave about it - anyway hope you are recovering

I have sent a message to Jack in the green who is quite near here to see if he/she might be interested in a climb in the spring, but no answer yet

By the way, the hash could have been a disaster - the rain washed away most of the flour, but as I said, hashers are pretty laid back so it was all ok.

Hope to meet you in the Spring

Regards

Chris

More
16 years 3 months ago #130981 by michaeljspraggon
Hi Chris,

You were right it is flu, and Man-Flu at that (the worst of all flus!!!)

You must be crazy going outdoors last weekend - it was nasty!

I'm sure I did tick the climber finder box in my profile...

I also emailed Jack in the Green a few weeks ago - he must think we're spammers.

See you in the spring (and maybe Jack or whoever wants to join in the first unofficial British Recreational Treeclimbers Meet -that I know of anyway).

Michael

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds