• bennysheehan
  • bennysheehan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126818 by bennysheehan
Brisbane QLD Australia was created by bennysheehan
Hi,

I am new to Tree Climbing, but would really like to get into it. I googled 'tree climbing clubs' etc, but to no avail. So I am looking for anyone interested in meeting with me and another buddy on week ends to give it a bash. We are in Brisbane QLD, and have access to gear through work (Vermeer and Arbor Warehouse). Please email on bsheehan@vermeeraustralia or PM me if your keen.

Cheers, Ben.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #126844 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic What kind of trees do you have?
Being here at the States, I often wonder what kind of climbing you have down under. Could you tell us here about what the trees are like your way?

Possibly you could talk one of us into climbing when we are there.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• ziontree
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127022 by ziontree
Replied by ziontree on topic Brisbane Trees
Greetings Treeman (and Benny)
We climb alot of different trees here. Brisbane is subtropical and therefore many different types of trees survive even some temperate ones. Eucalyptus, melaleuca's, Ficus (figs many different types), some rainforest species like Flindersia's and even mangos.
Our two major weeds (Cinnamomum camphora and Celtis sinensis) are easy to climb lots of low spreading branches (decurrent form).
The Eucalypts when mature have few major branches with big gaps between them, advancing the TIP can be difficult, big shots are often required. They dont get big like the Tasmanian ones (Eucalyptus regnans-90ms), 40m is a big tree here. These trees are mainly climbed for work purposes as rec climbing is not big here.
Anyone coming to this part of the world is more than welcome to come for a climb and I would gladly show them around.
Hi Beeny
Check your u2u. I posted you a message hope you got it.
oh yeah treeman can you give me some dimensions (eg chest 95cm) for the T-shirts Medium and large in the US may be different to here.
Cheers

• ziontree
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127029 by ziontree
Replied by ziontree on topic photos
Here's a photo of a Forest Red (Eucalyptus tereticornis)

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #124994 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Thanks ziontree
Nice photo! Very pretty setting by the river. Do you find the eukcalyptus trees brittle? Do they fall apart very often? It sure looks like a super climbing tree. We do not have them in the States (south east region). I know they grow well in California but tree workers say they are brittle and scary.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• ziontree
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127097 by ziontree
Replied by ziontree on topic Thanks ziontree
Yes I suppose you could say they are brittle. I dont think they fall apart very often but do require regular deadwooding in parks etc. small branches will flex only a little and then snap. On the other hand the timber is a hard wood in some species very hard(ironbarks). Get yourself a decint diameter branch and you have no worries tying in. Due to their habit( long leaders with a bit of fluff at the tips) they can be hard to branch walk.
Aren't the Eucalypts becoming a weed in the US?

• treechanger
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 weeks ago - 17 years 2 weeks ago #129355 by treechanger
Replied by treechanger on topic climbs wanted
Hey Brisbane climbers.
I am a novice tree lopper looking to hook up for some recreational climbing to learn some finesse (as opposed to climbing using spikes and a chainsaw). Anyone feeling patient?

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds