Throw line damage to branch

• The Navigator
  • The Navigator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 7 months ago #136871 by The Navigator
Throw line damage to branch was created by The Navigator
I recently started leaving a throw line in a tree in a hackberry tree in my yard. I noticed after about 6 or 8 climbs, that the bark on the anchor branch had been worn away and within that area a groove had been worn about the thickness of the throw line. It looks like to me the throw line is causing the damage. I am using a leather sleeve cambium saver. Are hackberries prone to this sort of damage? Or am I doing something wrong?
:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #136872 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Throw line damage to branch
It can occur in any species and is more likely to occur in the upper branches where the bark is younger and thinner. My favorite choice for creating a rope haul line that will be used multiple times on a single tree is "task cord" sold by Knot and Rope Suppy. It's a little thicker than standard parachute cord and is easy on thin bark due to it's wider diameter. Typical throw lines in the 1.75 to 2mm diameter range cut easily into thin bark, ok for a one-time rope setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Navigator

More
9 years 7 months ago #136875 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic Throw line damage to branch
If you don't have the option of alternating the access crotch then a piece of carpet will protect the cambium

More
9 years 7 months ago #136876 by moss
Nice, excellent solution!

More
9 years 7 months ago #136877 by Nimbadon
Thanks;)
Also you can use double sided Velcro to attach the carpet to the tree,
easy to adjust so you don't girdle the branch, and if you want to rest the tree for a while, easily removed.

Actually on that note, be aware of all points of contact you have with a tree regularly climbed,
Where your climbing line rubs the side of branches, scuffing from your feet etc etc.
No mater how careful we are, we do have an impact on the trees we love to climb.

Peace
Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Navigator

• The Navigator
  • The Navigator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 7 months ago #136880 by The Navigator
Replied by The Navigator on topic Throw line damage to branch
Thanks to you both for taking the time to answer. Those are great suggestions. (I can't tell if you got the thank you message I sent by hitting the button.) One question: when I went to Knot and Rope Supply, I didn't see anything labeled Task Cord. There were several cords thicker than throw line. 4 mm through 8 mm. Which would you use for that purpose?

More
9 years 7 months ago #136881 by moss

The Navigator wrote: Thanks to you both for taking the time to answer. Those are great suggestions. (I can't tell if you got the thank you message I sent by hitting the button.) One question: when I went to Knot and Rope Supply, I didn't see anything labeled Task Cord. There were several cords thicker than throw line. 4 mm through 8 mm. Which would you use for that purpose?

I'm having problems with their web site right now but I was able to review my past orders, it is "Task Rope" not task cord, my mistake. You can see it listed here:
Miscellaneous Items

I seems to be about 4mm. I just took some out of a tree where it had been for a year, still in great shape.
-AJ

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #136894 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic Throw line damage to branch
Hello !

Personally i don't like the carpet version because it's made of plastic, because it doesn't dry well so it can become moldy, because it can avoid the bark to breath through its stomas, because it's made of plastic. Huh allready said that ? Well, plastic is evil.

I prefer a lot hemp canvas. It's easy to dry, not toxic, breathing well, biodegradable, cheap. It does the job, it costs allmost nothing and it's fair to nature.
What could be better ?

Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by bradypus.

More
9 years 6 months ago #136931 by Nimbadon
I have always thought a cambium saver for throw line would would be a good thing
A small sleeve type relative to the size of throw line that can be set from the ground.

Any ideas?

More
9 years 6 months ago #136933 by Nimbadon

bradypus wrote: Hello !

Personally i don't like the carpet version because it's made of plastic, because it doesn't dry well so it can become moldy, because it can avoid the bark to breath through its stomas, because it's made of plastic. Huh allready said that ? Well, plastic is evil.

I prefer a lot hemp canvas. It's easy to dry, not toxic, breathing well, biodegradable, cheap. It does the job, it costs allmost nothing and it's fair to nature.
What could be better ?

Plastic is evil ?????... Those don't look like hemp ropes to me :P

More
9 years 6 months ago #136943 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic Throw line damage to branch
You're right and that is a huge frustration to me. Our ropes are pollution for sure.

But that doesn't mean that plastic is not bad and that we shouldn't avoid it as soon as we can.

More
9 years 6 months ago #136949 by yoyoman
Replied by yoyoman on topic Throw line damage to branch

The Navigator wrote: I recently started leaving a throw line ......throw line is causing the damage. I am using a leather sleeve cambium saver....
:(

You are leaving the leather sleeve in the tree and the throw line is causing damage to the tree through the leather???
I have a few of my favorite places and find leaving the leather saver in the tree with the throw line works very well, the throw line/climb line pulls thru it easily and the shape of leather saver keeps everything in place, there is less actual contact with the tree to effect the bark.
I like leaving the access line there and although I need practice with my throw bag and almost always untie the bag when pulling my throw line back after a bad toss to protect the tree, the leather works best for my favorite place to go.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds