Rough Draft - Work in Progress!

• leon123
  • leon123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126364 by leon123
Rough Draft - Work in Progress! was created by leon123
I think it is clear that none of us has the motivation or time to write an entire rough draft on our own (I know I don't!). However, it may work well if people volunteer to write short sections. As we go we can discuss and refine what categories/sections need to be covered still, and what order it all should be in. In addition to some writing, I am willing to keep an updated version of the rough draft posted here as it progresses.

I'll start the party by posting draft of some recommendations on rope used for tree climbing. Other sections that can be covered are carabiners, other climbing devices hardware, saddles, gear inspection, etc.

ROPE

Ropes used with DdRT should be rated to at least 22kN MBS (Minimum Breaking Strength) when new, and should be designated by the manufacturer for use in tree climbing. Single eye split tails (as used for the Tautline and Blake's Hitches) should also be rated to at least 22kN MBS. Eye and eye split tails (as used for the VT, Distel, Swabisch, etc.) should have a MBS of at least 11kN when new.

Ropes used for SRT should be rated to at least 22kN MBS when new, and should be of an appropriate diameter for the climbing system being used.

Ropes used for safety lanyards should meet the same MBS (at least 22kN) as climbing lines.

All splicing should be done in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

So what do ya'll think? Please criticize for content, style, and form. And don't be shy to volunteer.:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127102 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic What is up with This?
Any updates on the "standards"?
It looks like we started with a lot of good energy but as Treeman has predicted the initial activity would soon died down.
Do we have any updates or everyone's happy with the current way of doing things?
Just Wondering........... from a tree!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds