Stirring up hornets

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126104 by moss
Stirring up hornets was created by moss
Being a relative newcomer to tree climbing I missed the contentious stuff that happened on the TCI message board last year. I don't really know the history but apparently it's enough to prevent some of the leaders in the rec climbing community from participating or at least make them wary of being involved in a guidelines creation process.

Check out this thread on TCC to get an idea of where people are coming from. Joe Maher has published some good comments in the TCC blog pages .

What can be done to bring more of the tree climbing community leaders into working on the guidelines? Have they been invited or is it assumed that they have to speak up if they want to contribute?

Signed,
Admittedly naive on the background politics
a.k.a -moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126105 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Stirring up hornets
That thread you refer to at TCC was well worth the read. The pro & con issues all have merit.
The guidelines for our sport are understood. The shape of the package we put them in is the question.

As long as we are small, their is no enforcement other than common sense & courtesy. When RTC becomes popular “big money” will get their hands on it no matter how gentle we try to be with our standards. I have a feeling that day is still a long, long way off.

Additionally…
The attitude that TCI, (specifically referred to as Peter Jenkins in other posts) will morph into The Darth Vader of Recreational Tree Climbing is where we “derailed” a year ago.

Their concerns for loss of freedom are certainly understood.
But yes, a bit of a hornets nest and understandably so. No one wants to lose their freedom. Its anti-tree-ish! :)

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126110 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Stirring up hornets
Hey,

I never heard Peter say, "(hooo-pahhh) Icabod, I am your (hooo-pahhh) father"

Too funny EJ, too funny

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126112 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic TCI was asked to do this.
We were asked at the 2005 Rendezvous to start this discussion on climbing standards and ethics and we said we would. These discussions have now been presented to the tree climbing community here. It’s time to move forward. We ask all of the community to READ ALL of the threads first that have been posted here. Let’s not take the time to repeat ourselves on matters already discussed here to someone that did not take the time to do their homework and read previous postings on this forum FIRST.

This discussion will not sit well with everybody. That is for sure. The individualist climbers that only want to climb on their own will find this subject boring and possibly threatening. Some people even think we are assembling a “tree police” enforcement unit (great for joking purposes but not so great if you are trying to have a coherent conversation). For those that just want to climb, I say CLIMB ON BROTHERS AND SISTERS (so what if I was raised in the 60’s and 70’s!). Have a good day. And may the force be with you. For those of you that are interested in the discussion at hand, participate.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126149 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic What is our goal?
I think that it is important for us to decide what our goals are. What are we doing? Why are we doing it? How will we go about it.

FWIW, I'd like to see the Appectable Practice standard available to everyone in our community-without copyright. It could easily be published on an Open-Source Internet library, such as Wikisource. We all work on it. It's ours.

I'd like it to be simple enough, that a climber with the Basic Tree Climbing Course level of experience could read it. All of us could use the document to look at what we are doing. Instructors could use it.

I'd like to see TCI use it to maintain the high level of standards that I have come to expect from them. I would like to see TCI produce a certifications program-where they could make a few bucks. When I go climbing in the park, this card would be handy to pull out to show the Ranger. This card would have value as we climb away from home. It could have BTCC, SRT, Rigging, Rescue, Instructor, etcetera. People who didin't get their instruction from TCI could still be certified by a TCI Examiner.

These are a couple goals I think merit discussion. Please tell me what you think.

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126151 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Stirring up hornets
The idea of using a wiki to create/hold the guidelines occured to me. Then I thought that would be a whole 'nother education process getting people used to working in a wiki. Something to think about once the guidelines become more substantial.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126184 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Point well made about terminology.
Good to see you again Kernsloth…uhh..JBird. The standards being developed is public domain material. It needs to be seen on every tree climbing web site, tree climbing catalogs, or where ever else.

You are right. Terminology is important. I hope you can help us along with this project.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126187 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Stirring up hornets
Welcome back to the Dark Side Luke...er...ughhh...good to see you here again J...

Really, just kidding (I'm still laughing about my previous post up there Peter!)

Peter I am REALLY glad to see you state that this SHOULD be placed on EVERY site, and EVERY magazine. I think it is important for people to see that we are serious about safety. J-I know you are too. I'm glad too, to see that there will be another person in this discussion that is very concerned about the possible snafu's that could come about (a-la OSHA). I guess we can play devil's advocate. But at the end of the day I am glad to be a part making sure folks will be safer at the end of the day.

Climb SAFE!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds