Standards review board?

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125958 by moss
Standards review board? was created by moss
Thought I'd start a separate thread for this. Having slightly anarchistic tendencies I never thought I'd be writing something like this.

The time is drawing near where it might be useful to form a recreational tree climbing standards review board. The board would compile input, then write, review and finalize standards documents. The board would be made up of leading figures in the rec climbing world (round up the usual suspects) representing instructors, advocate/experts for the various technical disciplines, advocates for handicapped accessibility and include consulting representatives from the equipment manufacturers/retailers like New Tribe and Sherrill for example.

A major challenge would be not to have half the board be from Georgia. Maybe there's no way around that :-)

Hopefully the theoretical charter of the board would include some language to the effect of "We're not here to be legalistic hair-splitters, our goal is to seek input from the international rec climbing community and publish common sense and agreed upon standards for safe climbing and ethical conduct."

The standards would be a dynamic document that would be updated to reflect technical innovation and other changes in the rec climbing world.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125965 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic REVISED TITLE
How about calling this the "Accepted Practices" review committee. I think this board has historically been that. I know for my part any time I've seen anyone put across a two bit idea I examined it and either gave it credit or knocked it down. By getting together a list of accepted practices you invite people to submit thier methods. Who knows? Perhaps someone out there has an idea that will revoloutionize what we do. I'd be glad to participate. I love to hear new ideas. I think that is a great idea if for no other reason than to create a forum for discussion of innovation.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125975 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Standards review board?
I concur with the Accepted Practices committee since it invokes innovation.
I also like EJ's initial approach of starting with ANSI, stripping it and reforming it for rec. climbing.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126082 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Review board for accepted practices.
I’ve asked Leon to head up the conversation on climbing practices. Leon seems well versed with the Z133 ANSI standards (did I say that right?). So who else is in on this "accepted practices" review board? Let me read off a list as I see it.

Lichen, Icabod, and Moss, appear as prime candidates. I know I am calling out names here.

I would like to see Tom Dunlop and Electrojake, but I can’t speak for them, or anybody for that matter at this point except Leon. Anyone else?

I would like to provide input from time to time, but I am from Georgia. Just kidding. I am trying to keep my focus on the book if possible. I am making good progress with writing, and want to keep moving forward with it.

The ethics discussion is separate from this discussion. It is a different issue which will be discussed on another thread.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126095 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Called Out!
OK Peter...

I should have learned now from all my social, church, and work responsibilities to keep my mouth shut unless I wanted to be involved, but I guess I haven't.

That said I'd be happy to join up, if everyone else aggrees with Peter, with Leon as chairman, as I aggree, he seems well versed indeed.

Leon that put's you in the drivers seat though, can you set up everyone in the group with a copy of the standard that you want to start with, and set up some assignments.

Again I will be glad to post the finished document at my site. We do have a message board there too that we could use for discussion of the topic in detail.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126097 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Count me in
I accept the nomination to duty.
Thanks,
-moss

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126127 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic ethics and acceptable practices
I agree with Peter that ethics should be considered as a separate issue from acceptable practices.

But, then I start to think of exceptions like using bark savers. Is it possible to say what practices are acceptable in regard to certain "practical" ethical issues; then, in a separate forum, share our ethical values with each other?

Certainly, we have much to learn-from each other.

Safe climbing,
Robert

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126128 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Standards review board?
I think it would be appropriate to mention friction savers, and probably other topics, in both climbing practices and ethics. The practical side of use of the tool could be mentioned in the climbing practices area, while the value of its use could be discussed in ethics.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds