Picea sitchensis - Sitka Spruce

• Erock
  • Erock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #135959 by Erock
Picea sitchensis - Sitka Spruce was created by Erock
Here on the central Oregon coast Sitka's seem to be the dominant species and they can get big...really big. There are also assorted pines and the ubiquitous alders but I've yet to discover any maple or oak stands to explore. Deciduous trees,with the exception of alders, are scarce in my immediate area.

Sitka's are challenging. In the winter they are constantly wet and really dirty to climb (my 120' Safety Blue isn't pretty white any more). I don't know about summer climbing, haven't done it yet. The several that I climb regularly are in the 130' to 160'+ range and are characterized by MANY dead limbs scattered up their height. Getting a throw line positioned on a good anchor point is a test of one's patience and determination. Healthy limbs spiral up the trunk and form an umbrella of multiple canopies that one has to navigate through to ascend. Multiple pitches tend to be in the 8' to 10' foot range with abundant obstructions from dead limbs and broad healthy limbs. Why climb them, you ask...cuz they're all I've got. Frankly, I've not been motivated to ascent beyond the big lower limbs in the 30'to 60'heights. I do short redirects around the trunk to move around. Obviously, different trees have different challenges. So, if you ever want to get wet and dirty and have an interesting and challenging climb, come on out to the coast and we'll find you a Sitka for your very own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #135962 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Picea sitchensis - Sitka Spruce
Awesome. I've stood at the base of some of those great Sitkas along the coast, looked very attractive to climb. Would be great to see some photos from next time you're up there.
-AJ

More
11 years 3 months ago #135967 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re: Picea sitchensis - Sitka Spruce
I agree, Sitkas do look very inviting and I would like to see some pics.

My dad's side of the family comes from Oregon so I have seen them. I did bring my climbing gear on one trip and took pictures of Mt Jefferson from the top of a Douglas Fir.

More
11 years 3 months ago #135981 by Erock
Replied by Erock on topic Re: Picea sitchensis - Sitka Spruce
2012-11-07_12-39-45_752.3gp

Meet, Big Mama...~160'x 16'dia. Sitka Spruce

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds