Quercus alba - White Oak

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #135131 by greenluck
Quercus alba - White Oak was created by greenluck
I found what I believe to be a White Oak. This one has some girth but not that tall. I think it is a White Oak.....feel free to take a guess if you think it is a different type of Oak. It does have the white/gray bark that is usually associated with White Oaks.

Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by greenluck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #135133 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Quercus alba - White Oak
From what I can tell from the pics, it looks like a whitey to me. And a nice one at that. Get on up that thing if you can. I love white oaks. Them and sycamores are my two favorite climbers.

Is this in someones back yard or on the top side of some kind of park or cemetary? The hill that it sits on top of has me curious.

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #135135 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Quercus alba - White Oak
This oak is located in a small village park about 20 minutes from my home. This park offers over 6 oaks just as big, along with several huge sycamores and poplars.

No trouble with any authorities yet. Most of these nice trees are in the back corner of the park away from a public swim area, skate park, and shelter/picnic area. In other words no one can shout from their car window at you. Many signs are posted mentioning the usual; dogs on leashes, no entry after dark, don't litter.......Nothing about rock climbing, tree climbing or even being off the walking paths.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by greenluck.

More
13 years 2 months ago #135137 by 2chops
I met a guy last year from St. Louis. He told me that if he spots a nice tree in a public park, he'll "practice" his throw bag skills to see if anyone queeries him about what he's up to. Once a park ranger asked him, and he told the ranger about recreational tree climbing, (gear, safety protocalls, ...) and that he was just practicing his throwing skills. The ranger told him to enjoy his recreation and moved on. So, since the line was already in the tree and the nice ranger told him to enjoy his recreation, he went after the rest of gear and recreated. B)

Cleaver ruse. Glean from that story what you will.

There's a nice little park near my house that has a huge Black Walnut tucked way back in the far corner. Spotted it last year. I aim on climbing it. Only part of my "gag" is that I have my clipboard with me. I take measurements, sound the trunk, write stuff down...I figure if anyone asks, I tell them I'm a certified arborist, which I am, and am doing a 4 zone tree inspection. Which I really am. Not for anyone inparticular. Just me. Only they don't need to know that.

Gleen from that what you will. Add your own inventions and giddy on up.

Ron

More
13 years 1 month ago #135270 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Quercus alba - White Oak
2Chops,

Great gag about throwing a line into a tree to see how the fish are swimming. I MUST TRY THIS PLOY!

I knew a fellow that made a fold out sign. It said "Tree Research In Progress" He was a certified arborist too. Everyone kept away from his tree.

Clip board? Nice prop. 2chops, you are ninja lite of a different order! You do the psychology thing. Sneaky!

Hey 2chops- did you ever get a kata up with the ...........you know.........handsaw action? I've always wanted to follow up with you on that.

Peter Treeman Jenkins

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
13 years 1 month ago #135271 by treeman
Gereenluck,

If the bark is flakey and in plates higher up, it is indeed a white oak. No other oak has that bark feature.

Peter Treeman Jenkins

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
13 years 1 month ago #135275 by 2chops
Thanks for the kudos Treeman. It pretty much proves the theory that if you have a hardhat and a clipboard you can gained access to anywhere. Here's further insight to my ploy.

If questioned, I mention that my measurements are so that I can track the trees growth over a period of time. Which is true. I'm a qurious sort and I don't like lying. So...when I go up said tree in the future, I've established a prior presence in this particular tree. AND I have the previous set of data with me to add creedence to my story. Also...

I've climbed some real beautes while doing some work for the state. I have a particular sycamore in mind @ a rest area not far from home. This will be a post trim follow up inspection. ;) You get the drift of my game I hope. I want you to expand your thinking, add your own particulars,...and then share with the rest of us.

Stealthily yours,
2chops...
f
a
d
i
n
g
into the backgr o u n d.....

More
13 years 1 month ago #135277 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Quercus alba - White Oak
Ha ha that's pretty slick Two Chops, B) I like the after prune inspection idea.

There is a large white oak that I found one time and I am guessing it is around 300 years old. It has some dead branches and one is pretty big. I called the corporation who own's the property that the tree is on and explained that I was an arborist who was interested in cleaning up the historical tree located on their property. Well, they seemed rather thank full but you wouldn't believe all the paper work and insurance forms I had to wade through. I finally got the go ahead so I will try to attach some pictures after I clean it up.

More
13 years 1 month ago #135278 by 2chops
Treeman- I think that I'm going to have to buy another hand saw like the one I already own. That way I'll have a balanced pair for the kata. Fortunately it"s not a Silky or one of those other $alty ones. I'm actualy chomping at the bit to get this on vid and posted. I promise it will be good. Kata is my forte'.

Treezybreez- As working arborists we do have a definate advantage in that we have a built in credential. Especially if you're ISA certified. We have a lot of beautiful trees in peoples back yards in my town. Not near the magnatude nor abundance as in ATL. But then who does? Anyways...I'm going to try a new approach this year to climbing privately owned trees. I'm going to knock on the door, explain myself, show my ISA creds., and offer to do a free aerial inspection. I'll even do a little write up with any work suggestions if they want. This may even turn out to be a good way to promote and drum up some new climbers for my climbing academy. Who knows? At the very least I'll get to go up some otherwise non climbable trees.

Note to rec. climbers...look into getting your ISA certification. You will be surprised at the doors that cred. will open up for you.

More
13 years 1 month ago #135284 by treeman
2chops,

I've done that private knock on door thing, done the certified arborist intro conversation (which I am), and asked to climb--like reallllllyyyy stunning trees with a tree inspection thrown in with private owners. I get, "Tell me when you want to come out." A few fellas asked me for a waiver. But all in all, an easy sell.

If I had the time, I could probably get the big tree list in my area and do the same thing. A good tactic for getting into some huge trees.

So 2chops. You are going to practice your kata with a taped blade edges, right? Those tri-edge teeth sure can bite! Tell me when you come up with something. I have faith in you.

BTW- tell the readers about your martial arts. Style, rank etc. Don't get too detailed about your handsaw aspirations yet. I would hate to get reports of arborists going out there and cutting themselves up.

Peter Treeman Jenkins

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
13 years 1 month ago #135287 by 2chops
Treeman - regarding the taped edges, sorry but no. Live steel only. Encourages one to focus on task @ hand. ("A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.") That's how I was trained. I assume all risk and responsibility. After 30 years I'm pretty well focussed. I'll be careful.

I'll post the info about my martial art style in the General Discussions category tomorrow. It's about my bed time.

Ron

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #135739 by jgranderson
Replied by jgranderson on topic Re:Quercus alba - White Oak
Up 1st roped tree today (as opposed to all my expeditions up smaller ones barehanded in the past), Quercus alba, of the local decent-sized 60' variety. Figured its spreading branches and strong shape would be helpful. Throwbags are harder than you guys make them look is all I'm gonna say, but it was glorious fun. Throwline seems to get caught easily under the edges of the large bark scales on this tree, to me anyhow. Otherwise it seemed like a really friendly tree to have lots of elbow room or swinging room in. I enjoyed this tree type a lot. :)
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by jgranderson.

More
12 years 1 month ago #135740 by treeman
jgranderson,
I am glad you made the transition from bare hand climbing to roped climbing. It takes a little while to get used to roped climbing. Especially when it comes to throwing a throw bag. As far as luck in throwing the throw weight, you will have good days and bad days. You will have some trees that are easy to throw, and other trees that are really hard to throw. That's the way it is.

If you climb this white oak more often, you'll knock off the flaky parts. This will not hurt the tree. But once you have climbed this tree a number of times, it will be more throw line friendly. You will also learn the tree. What I mean by learning the tree is that you will know where to go and what throws our easiest and fastest. It usually takes 5 climbs for me to learn a tree.

It's going to take you a little bit of time getting used to climbing with the rope. It may not be as fast as free climbing, but it will be just about 100% safe. You'll be able to climb much larger trees too because there won't be any blank sections where there are no branches to climb on. You will just breeze past blank sections of the tree using the throw weight and climbing rope. You'll be amazed at the size of trees you will now be able to climb.

Keep us posted on some of your adventures here. If you have any problems, ask questions. The folks here are very friendly and we always are pleased to have a new climber join the ranks.

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
12 years 1 month ago #135743 by jgranderson
Replied by jgranderson on topic Re:Quercus alba - White Oak
Thanks! Will do. I think this is definitely an acquired skill. My post oak today seemed a bit easier to throw, and was just as fun.

More
12 years 1 month ago #135744 by 2chops
@jgrand...Try not to let the throw bag part of it frustrate you too much. It's THE most challenging part of tree climbing. Sometimes I'll grab a bag & bundle of line & practice in the trees by my house. Keep @ it & give yourself to the process. Enjoy.

Ron

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds