Blue Spruce / Picea pungens

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 6 months ago #134893 by 2chops
Blue Spruce / Picea pungens was created by 2chops
The blue spruce is an evergreen that can grow over 100' tall. The needles are 4 sided and stiff, making these trees a real bugger to climb. Often sold as Christmas trees and planted as ornamental yard trees. If you bite into the needles you'll get a sharp acidy taste. So don't so that. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

The only reason I went up this one was to remove a rather large limb that was growing out and was acting like a codominant stem. The owner wanted it off, and I knew it would improve the appearance of the tree without hurting it. I had to set my climbing line with my pole clip, and then do a double chicken strap technique to go up to my uppermost TIP.

I like the smell of these trees, but refuse to let one in my house come December. Too messy. Thankfully my wife agrees withe me on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #134903 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Blue Spruce / Picea pungens
Never had a chance to climb a Blue Spruce.

Most examples in my area are around 50-60' high max and are very dense. Most that I have seen look almost too dense to climb for fun.

We did climb and take down 4 pine trees in PA last spring in the 40-50' high range but they were not Blue Spruce......but that was a working climb......

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 6 months ago #134905 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Blue Spruce / Picea pungens
Blue spruce is not a tree one goes up for fun. Although I think maybe everyone should climb one at least once or twice, just for the experience. Especially on a hot sunny day. :blink:

More
13 years 6 months ago #134907 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Blue Spruce / Picea pungens
I've climbed a couple for the "fun" of it. In general spruce and fir are tough climbers, small branches and very tight to get around the upper crown.
-Andrew

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds