SC coastal swamp climbing - Loblolly Pine

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #137250 by moss
Day after the cypress climb I explored further and ended up going in an inlet off the creek. From there I found some decent sized loblolly and had the luxury to set my line from firm ground. Turned out to be good height trees for an area that was slammed by hurricane Hugo in '89. My access limb was a bit over 90' and I had probably 35' feet to climb from there to the top. Speaking of Hugo, pretty much every large tree had clear evidence of wind damage, the large loblolly had all been topped by wind in the 100-120' height range and are now regrowing new tops from upper side limbs. I guess they've evolved with hurricane activity, if they don't fall over they keep on going.

Big cypress snag, possibly broken during Hugo but more likely a previous hurricane, it looked like it had been standing nearly dead for a very long time.

Palmetto understory at the edge of the creek, the flooded woods go waaaay back in.

Canoe landing in a backwater inlet

Look down during SRT ascent

Wind topped loblolly next tree over

Switched over to DRT to get to the top

Bald Cypress swamp as far as you can see, nothing made by humans visible in any direction except a radio tower on the horizon

Sundown from the top

All the photos here

-AJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #137251 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic SC coastal swamp climbing - Loblolly Pine
Hey Moss, what an adventure!!
Setting a line from a canoe would be a great challenge
The solitude must have been beautiful
Great photos mate,
The following user(s) said Thank You: moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds