Quadcopter rescue

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #137213 by moss
Quadcopter rescue was created by moss
I got a call to rescue a quadcopter stuck in a tree, it was a Christmas present lost on its first flight. When I got there they were surprised when I said it could take up to 2 hours to get it done. Turned out a little less than an hour. Throwing and setting the rope took up most of the time, had to warm my frozen fingers between throws ;-) Once the rope was set it took 7 minutes to get it down.

The quadcopter was on the outer branches at the top of a leaning leader of a double leader pin oak. I set the rope from the ground with two natural redirects, the rope was anchored at the base of the tree, then over a high limb in the main leader and over the highest strong branch in the thinner leaner. I ascended directly up to the top of the leaner and then set a false crotch redirect a bit higher to give me the best possible rope angle and support to get out to the copter.

200' rope is set and ready to climb

The high redirect

Thar she blows!

Happy kids

-AJ
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #137218 by Mobejo
Replied by Mobejo on topic Quadcopter rescue
Nice job! The same thing happened to a friend of mine last spring when his copter got hung up in a tree. He asked for my help to get it down, but a breeze did the job instead. When the price of these drones come down a bit, I think my tree climbing 'hobby' may become a little more lucrative in these situations!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds