Keeping it going

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #135208 by moss
Keeping it going was created by moss
Third week in a row in this woods white pine, first time with some less experienced climbers, second time solo, this time with an experienced climber.

Different for this climb was more wind. The double trunks are leaning out from each other so the movement was pretty good up high, takes getting used to when the gusts come in and then you accept it and go about your business climbing.

I'm SRT'ing up on the left up to around 70', second climber Paul's rope is a DRT setting at 60' (click on the photos to see them larger)

Paul up near the top of his side of the tree

Clipping my lanyard in as I move up into the top. My main rope is around the spar a few inches below the height of my waist, this is typical "alternating lanyard" technique that I use in the crowns of conifers. Michael Spraggon uses his double-ended adjustable lanyard the same way, Richard Preston describes it as a spider rope or motion lanyard in "The Wild Trees". My system climbs the same way except the tail of my main rope is hanging straight down and I'm alternating between the upper end of my main rope and the lanyard as I work up.

Detail of lanyard in place, same location as the above photo. The lanyard is 15' of 11mm Bandit, the adjuster is a Distel Hitch w/8mm Beeline, tied eyes (Scaffold Knot) on the ends of the split tail. The lanyard has a short length of extra flexible 1/2" liquid tight conduit to protect the tree.

-AJ
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #135210 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Keeping it going
I hope you keep it going right into spring!

After far too long on the ground I'm going to keep climbing every 2 weeks at least (as I have already started to do). I'll actually take some photos in the tree next climb, I promise!

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds