USMC climb in Boston

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #134540 by moss
USMC climb in Boston was created by moss
A few months back I had a chance encounter in a local cafe with a community organizer meeting with representatives of the United States Marine Corp. They were discussing the details around bringing marines returning from deployment in Afghanistan into Boston neighborhoods to do community work for a week in Boston. I suggested that I could set up a tree climbing experience for marines who would be doing work in a park where I regularly run climbs. Everyone was enthusiastic about the idea, fast forward to yesterday and the climb happened.

First off I was very impressed with how fit these folks were, one young man did require an X-large New tribe harness but that was only because he was an extra large individual, still very fit. Next thing that impressed me was how quickly they understood the harnesses, rope/knot configurations and climbing technique. The process of gearing up and climbing went more smoothly than usual. Throughout the climb they showed a capacity for relaxed yet persistent focus, really the most focused climbers I've had the pleasure of working with. A skill or protocol taught was remembered. Several naturally transitioned into facilitator roles, without going beyond their capability but providing excellent help. Obviously they know what team means. I had the pleasure of seeing the joy of climbing up into the canopy expressed by individuals who have been living and working under difficult (to say the least) circumstances in their recent past.

I encourage any of you who have the opportunity to facilitate tree climbing to reach out and work with our folks in the military.

Original photos on flickr

-moss
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #134544 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:USMC climb in Boston
Looks like it was a new experience for all parties. Nice one Moss!

I suppose people get very good at following instructions 100% correctly when their lives depend on it. I'm sure we all could benefit from this way of operating in our recreational climbs.

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds